Just Labradors banner

Today's utility run through....

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Milesmom 
#1 ·
In case anyone is interested...

These videos are long and not nearly as exciting as agility.

Here is the video from our run thru. We did great until directed jumping.

I was very happy with his heeling because his heeling is so-so, but we've really been working on it. His heeling was good in both utlity runs and in open. Scent articles good, directed retrieve, good, moving stand for exam good. Then he had major confusion on the run out.

Our second run thru went better. I think I figured out what the problem with the run out was. We did glove number 1. I have been using the numbers for the directed retrieve so I said "one". My word for go out is "Run". Perhaps Run sounded too much like One to him so he went to that the spot for "one" and sat. He sure looks pretty confident he did what he was supposed to do.

Our second run thru we did glove #3. I said "three". Then in our go out, which we did full length of the ring, he went center both times (got cookies for it too). I really think One and Run sound too much alike.

Now I have to figure out which to change, my directed retrieve word for glove #1 or the go out word. I am thinking I should just change the name of glove #1 to something else. Four or take it (or doofus for that matter). Just change the one thing that there is only a one in three chance we'll have to use. I hate to change my go out word because I have been using that for a few years now.

YouTube - Utility Run Thru 10-24-2010

Anyway, we'll see what happens!

See less See more
#2 ·
You 2 seem so close, but I agree, I bet he's confused w/ the Run and One-- and he doesn't seem convinced w/ your lining clues either (is that legal to give the early "line", btw? Seems like that would be interpreted as training in the ring but I'd not know..).

Back has been my send command since that's what we use in the field. I just say it w/ a much softer voice in obed. That all said, I've yet to compete in UD!

His heeling looked quite good! :)

#3 ·
Thanks! Heeling has been our nemesis! You'd think we'd have that down by utility right? :rolleyes:

Yes, the early "line" is legal.

#4 ·
I use "go out" for the send across the ring for DJ. I used three different pivot words with Kona and "take it" to get the glove. With Bo I use "heel" for all three pivots and "fetch". Trying to make it simpler and clearer for Bo (and me ........ memory not what it used to be!! <g>)

Best of luck!!

#5 ·
I use Go Back (quietly since it's not too far vs a field blind which is maybe 100 yds) for the go out, and "Back" (softly) for the glove retrieve since it technically is a blind (rather a sight blind). I too believe in keeping commands simple... and say heel for all my pivots, etc. w/ Envy. She really respects that word thankfully and has taught me a lot about how dogs really think.

I've watched field handlers not even have to give a line w/ their hand for 100 yd blinds--- if the dog is sitting straight at heel (spine is straight), theoretically (lol) they should take a straight line ahead. Sometimes I think we try to give too much information, but that's just me. :)

#6 ·
when we do the pivot for the gloves, are we allowed to use a word? Like "back" or "around"? I didn't think we were.

My instructor looked at the video and shared it with friends to get opinions. She says glove and go out confusion is a common green dog error. Especially since you do the glove and soon thereafter the go out. So she has given us a "game" to proof for that.

#9 ·
No, it isn't and I've often wondered how the dog is supposed to know what to do. The glove turn to #3 is really hard to do without something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.