Our weekend

Thread: Our weekend

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur weekend

... was fun! Mata finished her OAJ yesterday and Fuji had a clean run today in nov Standard for her 2nd Q (16 sec under course time) and a red ribbon. Not bad for an old lady, almost 6... good thing I didn't put her in preferred too as I'd not have kept up w/ her for sure!

Our big progress for the weekend was getting over the new rubber surface on the contact equipment. Today, Mata thought the A frame was calling her (hence, I know she's over the new surface, lol) and took an off course on Std Excellent. Just one pop out of the weaves on her debut run in Exc JWW, and I think a dropped bar (not bad considering it had serpentines, etc on it!). Time was not a factor.

I bumbled Fuji on her Jumpers courses both days, sigh. She took the first bar yesterday but did the rest of the run in less than 28 sec.... fast. Today, I totally spaced on a front cross, was way too late and threw us al out of sync. She knocked a bar.... sigh. Also we had another fabulous time, so that isn't going to be her issue.

Saw lots of old friends, met lots of new ones too. It was a great weekend, despite the rain showers yesterday afternoon! Anne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Glad you and the girls had fun..you had some very nice runs

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

wonderful weekend for you guys. Six is not old!!! Our club got the rubber surface equipment too, I like it a lot. The dogs didn't seem to mind or notice a difference.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    wonderful weekend for you guys. Six is not old!!! Our club got the rubber surface equipment too, I like it a lot. The dogs didn't seem to mind or notice a difference.
    I saw dogs even in Excellent balk this weekend. Many Nov dogs running before us even Sunday were touching it, then refusing, and since Fuji (and Mata for that matter) was having better luck when running on my left, I figured it out. After chatting w/ Ric, our equip supplier for most of the NW trials, he said running Fuji on my left was a smart move. It meant doing a side change at an awkward spot before the teeter but it got us over it cleanly too. The handlers that didn't help their dogs acclimate to it had many NQs.

Even our (Debjen and my) vet's dogs running at Exc were having issues. She thought that initially it feels like "stickers" that we encounter sometimes out in the country, and they instinctually learn to pull back from them. Seems like by the 3rd exposure, if you could get your dogs on the contact equip, they were okay. Would be really nice if our practice equip would be done now too as Mata really took that dogwalk fast yesterday and left me in the dust... and missed the contact causing us to NQ after an otherwise clean Exc Std run! Argghhhhhhh.

I know 6 isn't old (esp not for my lines who have aged quite well), but considering I wasn't going to do agility w/ Fuji at all due to a bad neck injury at ~18 mos, she sure seems old to be debuting in Nov, lol, esp w/ a greying chin. I had just decided back in July to get her ready for the fall since I bred her sister Jazz a couple weeks ago. Before that, I'd only take her to class or runthrus if one of the others were in season, and it was all for fun. She kept amazing me how much she seemed to know, so it was one of those "what the heck" decisions on my part after I knew her neck was holding up just fine. I'm just glad I ran her at 20" and not preferred as her handler isn't fast enough at times as it is! She had just come out of season a few days before her first trial last Sunday, so we were out of class/runthrus for 3 wks also.. had to work on jumping /conditioning here at home more than I'd normally do.

Now to shop for that last Q for Miss Foo's NA! Anne

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That is weird, I didn't notice any dogs having issues with the rubber surface at our trial. It rained most of the time (except Sunday) so maybe that made a difference in that the surface was wet all weekend and by Sunday they were used to it?

I run preferred at 20 inches with my dogs. Can't see having to jump them higher if we don't have too. I'm not in it for MACH's, I never go to enough trials for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I run preferred at 20 inches with my dogs. Can't see having to jump them higher if we don't have too. I'm not in it for MACH's, I never go to enough trials for that.
    Oh me either... I'll leave that to my owners like Mark who has Strider (Fuji and Jazz's brother) who is well over 1/2 way to MACH 2 now... Between heat cycles, breeding occasionally (which regardless of who is bred, it takes me out of competition) and other venues like SH, etc, I will likely always just doodle in agility. And now I have 2 under 1 yo that I plan to be doing rally, obed and JH w/ next spring.... Can you say time and $$$ constraints?

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1