Crate dilemas - need advice

Thread: Crate dilemas - need advice

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate dilemas - need advice

I need some crate advice from people who show their dogs. Emilu has never been in a crate in the car, and I have a soft crate for her at shows. She had a metal crate at home until she was able to be out in the house safely on her own. Baxter is now in a solid crate in the house, but I want to switch him to metal, because I think he would like to see out, and also tends to get hot. (he is also outgrowing the plastic crate. I would like to have metal crate for Baxter at home (have one that might work - seems really large right now!), then a crate for in the car, and one for at the show. I would like metal for the car- again because he gets hot, and I think he would like it better. For shows, I will probably get a soft crate, but I also might show him in conformation, and I know that many of those show require metal crates (how sticky are they about that?) That means I would have to buy at least 2 new crates. What do you recommend for a good metal crate - I've read pros and cons about several brands. Also -does anyone just fold their metal car crate up and take it in to the show? Which crate would be best for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky is in a soft crate now but when I have a foster I have had to lug around a second crate and those have changed (as they are provided by the rescue).

The best "metal" crate I have had is the petmate. With my last foster this was her "in the house" crate, but when we travelled I would put it in the car and she was in there (she was a herder and tried ot herd the cars) then would set it up at whatever even we were at. It is abit heavy (it is metal!) but folds up very easily/nicely. I don't own a car so I have to be able to move a crate into a car and out of a car every time.

Pet Home Training Wire
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-16-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes Pat, a lot of breed shows do not allow at soft-sided crate. Even some obedience trials that are at breed shows do not allow soft sided crates. I have a couple of collapsable crates in my car that if I need I can take out and take into a show.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Susan - what brand do you use? I'm just thinking that a metal crate will be really heavy to lug around.