First day of puppy class gone wrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day of puppy class gone wrong

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst day of puppy class gone wrong

Oh my..... Dio and I had our first day of puppy class yesterday and it was humiliating! He was definitely the worst behaved pup in the class. He was so over stimulated and could not stop whining and barking at the other pups! He even had to be put outside to calm down! And he's always so well behaved at home that this was a real shock... The glares and smirks from the other owners did not help either...

Any tips on how to have a better session next week?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Been there had that puppy..and he did get better...hopefully that gave you some ideas on how to work on focus with your puppy..getting him to concentrate on you..do your homework at home but then start taking him places to work on it too..places that will give a little bit of extra stimulation at first like a parking lot working at one end away from people moving closer to where people are going in and out of stores..or the park..at first away from people and activities but slowly moving closer as his focus gets better...don't give up and keep going to class and don't worry about what the other people are thinking about just worry about you and your dog...

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

First, how old is he and how much has he been out already for socialization? What are your goals with him?? Anne

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Wait until tomorrow and I will send you my 'What to expect your first day of obedience class with your Labrador' manual. Honestly, you have a Labrador puppy. He is not a Golden retriever, he is not a border collie. He is a Labrador. Grin and bear it. Labrador puppies are fiesty to say the least.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and don't be ashamed of his 'good nature'. LOL

Did you bleed tonight? Did he bite you right through the nail? No? Then you had a GREAT puppy class with your baby.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I am not a fan of the curriculum of many puppy classes as the puppies do get over stimulated and poorly designed classes only teach your puppies to become hooligans.
    Tell me what you were doing in puppy class and how long the puppies were allowed to interact with each other and that will give me a better idea of why this is happening.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Two words. Jack Mackral

Seriously, it stinks to high heaven, but if you hold a bit of that in your hand and reward him with tiny bits of it for looking at you and paying attention to you, it will go much better, although everyone around you will stand clear (cause it really stinks). LOL!!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

a really good game is "watch me". You can start this at home and then use it in stimulating environments.

Have him watch you, look you in the eye and when he does, click or use a marker word like "yes" and treat. Most labrador puppies love this game because it means lots of treats. I have found it very useful and still use it at times. About a year ago, I was waiting at the vets office and there was an out of control 5 mo old shephard barking and lunging at my dog. I used the "watch me" game to keep Miles from answering the shephard. Luckily the vet got us out of there quickly!

The point is, you can use this tool to help your puppy relax and focus on you in arousing environments.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Good suggestions, but still don't know how old he is.

Practice whatever was taught last night. Practice it several tiomes a day.
    Before the next class, get that pup to expend some energy. Whatever you do to get him running, jumping, excited. Get in a good period to burn off some of that energy.

Our classes were held early evening. Instructors suggested to not feed before class. A tired puppy is a good puppy, a hungry puppy pays attention to where the treats come from.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Thanks for responding! Dio is five months (as of October 20). We have had him around older dogs about twice a week since we got him at 2 months and since his rabies vac, we take him to the off-leash park 2-3 times a week to play with other dogs.

The class was stressful. The pups had minimal interaction. I let him sniff the other pups, but had no time to play. The trainer says that she gives 5-10 minutes at the end of class to play. Problem is, Dio is way intense and the other pups seem frightened of him. There's a cocker spaniel that kept growling and snapping at him, and Dio didn't seem to get the message. Seemed to like that pup the most! The first class was 90% sitting and listening and 10% trying the commands. Very boring for Dio. Next class should be better, with 50% sitting and 50% trying commands.

I tried training outside, inside, with/without noise this week, so hopefully the next class is better! Plus, I am going to run with him for 20 minutes before the class.
    We'll see tomorrow how it goes!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

90% sitting and listening is very boring for the puppies. Very boring for my dog too!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast