Tour de Teeter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour de Teeter

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTour de Teeter

We went to Edinboro, PA yesterday and a teeter incident from Tuesday night came back to haunt us. We had a teeter issue back in February, worked through it, but I was sensing (sp?) a little nervousness about that teeter coming back and then Tuesday night, we had a crazy fly off. We did work it right after with lots of food and within minutes he was taking the teeter just fine and with also with sequences later in that evening, but when we got to the teeter in our trial yesterday, Miles said "uh uh".

YouTube - Open Standard 9/25/2010

We are also developing a table issue. That's probably my handling but you can't really see it because of the poles. That second refusal cost us our Q.

On a bright side, that was the exact same course they had for excellent, just minus one decoy jump. Miles read my handling we didn't have off course problems and we had a great rear cross and turn to the chute and I was really happy with how the front cross that final line worked. We finished great and he was happy. I felt some real progress in our "navigation" and I was happy with that. Even my husband said we were alot smoother than we looked at the New Year's trial he attended with us.

We had a great Jumpers run till he dropped the last bar. I may have celebrate a micro second too early, maybe not. Video doesn't help because DH shut off the camera a micro second too soon. Can't see it and DH used his phone for that video and I can't find his YouTube channel. Why couldn't he just my camera? Men!

So, we are entered for today, but I have decided to skip it and embark on a "Tour de Teeter" before going in the standard ring again. I explained to my husband that I don't want to reinforce that teeter refusal. I want to rebuild confidence on that teeter instead. I could have walked him off the course then, but he's not a disobedient dog generally, he was scared and I wanted to finish on a high note and keep him ring happy. Coincidentally, my former instructor is having a run through at his house, so we are going there today instead of back to Edinboro. My obedience instructor, who competes in agility, offered up her teeter, two of my friends have teeters. So, we will be doing the "Tour de Teeter" for the next few weeks! LOL!

Anyway, today is the Utility Match, then we begin the Tour....

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Will watch video tomorrow at work but it sounds like you did the right thing - I wouldn't leave the ring for a refusal to perform an obstacle that was causing anxiety either - I can only imagine how reinforcing that would become fast ...hey I don't do X and I get to leave - super cool!

I'm glad you can set up a tour de teeter - that sounds like a great plan you can play a million games with it and have a blast - one of Sally's favourites is racing along the board between two tables so there is a just a little wobble each way. Brody is small enough that he likes surfing it (I shake it all the way down)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

A nice run..I wouldn't have taken him out for that either..your teeter tour sounds like a good idea...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Miles had a pretty good run, especially if he was having teeter issues. I think you NQ'd at the teeter - looks like judge has both hands in the air. If Miles missed the contact on the down side - would be a failure which is what I think the judge is signaling. Recon has done what Miles did at the table - stopped just before getting on - I've been trying hard to send him from a distance and to keep moving even if with baby steps. Its always something. With the rule changes that went into effect on Sept. 1st, there's an interesting one for contacts which I just learned. If your dog jumps off before completing the contact obstacle, you can retry it but then you have to leave the course. So either 4 paw rule - pup jumps off - cannot redo contact but can continue on course even though you've NQ'd OR you can redo the contact and then leave the course - sort of an interesting dilemma. Did you like Edinboro? I don't - too many poles. Only time I showed there was with Shamrock and he put on quite a show. Its the one video I wish I had because he really played to the crowd - multiple times thru one tunnel and then another. It was funny once I knew we had no chance to Q. Finished to a hearty round of applause for the extreme entertainment value Shamrock provided. The Tour de Teeter sounds like fun and should be a good way to see how Miles does in different locations. Hope the Utility run thru was a good test too. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Good point Brody! I didn't even think of that!

Betsy, you are probably right. I get so confused with the rules, I just try to do the best I can and then go look at the score when I am done!

Well, had we gone back to Edinboro, there is no doubt we would have had another failure at the teeter. Miles hopped off it again at the run thruat my former instructors house, but this time I could use food and really reinforce that fulcrum. I paid for 3 runs. We did one, got to the teeter and dealt with the issue (feeding at the fulcrum) and worked it a bit. Our second run, we we spent most of the three minutes on table>jump>teeter and he was gettign progressively braver, but still shaking a bit on the teeter. Our third run, we did the whoe sequence again and he completed it successfully and we did a few extra teeters and that time, he offered the teeter performance. Then we left the course area and played ball.

Then I went to my friend's house and worked her teeter for about 10 minutes. Teeter only. AFter a few teeter failures there too, I made it a game. Teeter, food at the fulcrum. Walk calmly off. Go chase the ball. Back to the teeter, food at fulcrum, walk off, go chase the ball. Pretty soon, he was leaping for the teeter. Something occured that is really encouraging. At the fulcrum, the teeter would start to drop, and he started lowering his elbows to steady himself and control the downward motion. BINGO! I was happy to see that. I think if we can build on that feeling, knowing he can control it, he will be more confident with it.

Let's see how he does with his next teeter on the tour!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

brody is offline Senior Member

how heavy is he?

one of my favourite games but you have to be string enough to really control the board is locking it up and teaching the dog to run up past the tipping the point - lie down and ride it down .. it builds a lot more confidence (as you say) to have that control ...

I'm rebuilding -ridiculously slowly - the teeter with Thea ... she's FINALLY starting to get the down and ride thing .. she wants so badly to be lured and I'm determined to shape it so we are in a power struggle there too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

Something one of my friends did with her border collie who was having teeter issues was take the ball and roll it down the teeter for him to chase off ..thus associating the teeter with fun..I did something similar with Flyer and the chute..he didn't like the chute so we started holding it open and I would throw his toy as he was coming out..and before long he was charging through the chute to get his toy..

Andrea and Deb, thanks for the suggestions. Miles weighs 70 pounds. He's a burly boy. Deb, I am pairing the ball with it, but I have to be very careful with that. He is ball crazy and when he sees the ball, everything else evaporates in his world. I worry that tossing the ball at the foot of the teeter or rolling it down might make him careless again and cause another crazy fly off and we'll create a bigger problem. For now, I am walking away moving a few feet away from the teeter, then throwing the ball. I do use the ball to get a faster weave performance and I have used it to get him to run ahead to jumps down a line. So it is a really good tool for him. Right now, I want deliberate/focus work on the teeter with high reward.

Betsy, about Edinboro, I have had many people tell me it is one of their favorite places to trial. I don't get it. It was okay. The poles didn't bother me too much, but I've trialed at Medina Swarm and they have even bigger poles. I thought the crating space was aweful (stuffy, dusty, hot and smelly) and there really is no place to excersize your dog outside. I just didn't think the place was comfortable. Of course the sportsplex can really spoil you.

Ann & Miles

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Sounds like your plan with Miles is working to get him thru his teeter issues. My friends who've done agility much longer than I have reassure me that you can work thru issues and sometimes they come from a dog that you think is well trained and very comfortable on all the equipment. My Shamrock has popped out of the weaves a few times that cost us Excellent Q's yet when we practice he rarely misses so what is the issue. I'm not sure and have tried verbally reinforcing the weaves and that has worked sometimes. I agree about Edinboro's crating. I didn't like it and if you're near a dog that barks or whines there is almost nowhere to move away from that constant noise. You're right about the soccerplex - it does spoil you but I even like the I-X better than Edinboro. It takes me about as long to get there as to get to Washingtonville and again - no comparison. I can't afford to do agility every weekend so I have to pick my trials and why pick someplace that IMO is not great for many dogs. Recon would hate the confinement and there is almost nowhere to play with your pup inside or out. Guess its the soccerplex for us. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Well, my current instructor thinks I should do the teeter, have a party but not do it too many times in a session. She says it could make him dread coming to agility. Last night we had class. Bless her heart, she had a course set up with a teeter, but it set up in such a way that we could easily skip the teeter. So, if he was really stressed about it, we could do the course with teeter, have our feast at the tipping point and finish. Then our next turn skip the teeter so it is just happy fun happy course. Then later return to the teeter for more work. We never did use the alternate route. Miles is such a labrador and BOY labrador at that. He now trots off to go to the teeter and insists on it. Anyone with a labrador knows why. The feast at the tipping point. By the end of the night, he was going the teeter and completing it without shaking but we were keeping it from hitting the floor too hard. It's progress..

Ann & Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast