AKC Agility day 2

Thread: AKC Agility day 2

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAKC Agility day 2

Hi guys! We had so much fun Friday we went back yesterday for more.

Here is our Open JWW run. I could not have been happier with this. Everything went EXACTLY according to plan. We got first place.

YouTube - AKC Open Jumpers-Miles-9/11/2010

Here is our Open Standard run. I was thrilled with how I crossed between the first 2 jumps. A few months ago, I would not have been brave enough to do that. Now, if I wouldn't have stopped in between the dog walk and the table, we might not have had a refusal there. 5 faults. I wanted to rear cross before the dog walk, which would have eliminated the whirl, but we've not done that so I didn't want to risk a fly off. I was thrilled with the rear cross after the weaves. We got first place.

YouTube - AKC OPEN Agility-Miles-9/11/2010

So for the weekend we went 5 for 5! I am entered today and it is tempting to go back but I am finding that 2 days is enough for us, at least it is for me. We will be going to Edinboro PA for another one in 2 weeks.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

5/5 is awesome work indeed Huge congrats :

how big are trials around you? (ie how many dogs in a your height and class). I ask because while trials can be quite big until you run at masters level often there are only a few people in each division (I guess that's what happens when you have have 5 heights and 3 different streams (for us special, vet and regular) I am always curious to know about different venues ..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

A HUGE congratulations! You guys rock!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

Agility trials get quite large and they all fill up quickly. You pretty much have enter the minute they open to get in although some are random draw.

Novice, Open and Excellent A aren't as big as Excellent B. Excellent B is huge because of all the people working on MACHS. Excellent Standard starts at 8:00 am and usually isn't done before 2:00 pm. I was stunned at my first AKC Agility trial. I'd say "They are STILL doing Excellent Standard over there?".

For me there were about 12 20" dogs in Open for all my runs.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

great videos
    what a nice steady fellow he is .. you are always in the right spot for him

and the trials sound a bit like ours - the more novice classes being smaller and all

fabulous work

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Steady is a good descriptive word for him. I am told I got very lucky with this one. He's steady and he's fast enough, will get a little faster as my handling improves. However, he isn't crazy fast. I can also turn the switch off and he is very easy to live with at home, he's content resting in his crate at trials. He's a nice happy medium.

Obviously a slow dog is undesirable for agility. On the other hand, I see some very talented dogs out there and who, with a highly skilled handler are amazing. However, I see some handlers, that are more experienced than me, with such dogs and see them spin totally out of control time and time again. Speed is always desirable in agility but boy you really have to know what you are doing and think fast with those dogs. They'd be beyond me right now. I am fortunate to have a steady eddie who is motivated enough to go for it in agility but keeps his head, especially since I had no idea what I was going to do with this dog when I got him. LOL!

Had I gone out looking for an agility dog, I probably would've gotten a dog that starts lapping the ring the minute I take my hands off him and can't be trusted home alone. LOL!

Ann & Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    Steady is a good descriptive word for him. I am told I got very lucky with this one. He's steady and he's fast enough, will get a little faster as my handling improves. However, he isn't crazy fast. I can also turn the switch off and he is very easy to live with at home, he's content resting in his crate at trials. He's a nice happy medium.

Obviously a slow dog is undesirable for agility. On the other hand, I see some very talented dogs out there and who, with a highly skilled handler are amazing. However, I see some handlers, that are more experienced than me, with such dogs and see them spin totally out of control time and time again. Speed is always desirable in agility but boy you really have to know what you are doing and think fast with those dogs. They'd be beyond me right now. I am fortunate to have a steady eddie who is motivated enough to go for it in agility but keeps his head, especially since I had no idea what I was going to do with this dog when I got him. LOL!

Had I gone out looking for an agility dog, I probably would've gotten a dog that starts lapping the ring the minute I take my hands off him and can't be trusted home alone. LOL!

and you would spend hours saying "if only I was a better handler" I am like you - very fortunate to start with the dog I did

my Brody (in siggy pic) is a rockstar ... it took him four classes to be running in Masters Jumpers (1 starters try, 3 advanced tries) 1 Nq in the bunch
    it took us a little longer to get standard ... three tries to get the first Starters standard but he got all three starters qs he needed at one trial (our fourth) .. it took 4 months to finish our advanced standard title - he slid off the table twice the only 2 nqs in that effort and he he earned his masters standard title less than a year after earning his starters title (at that time I was lucky to trial every 8 weeks or so) I can promise you that'll never happen again in my life time

Enjoy your very special fellow
    and be glad you had him first - you might be frustrated by a dog like him later on and not do him justice

debjen is offline Senior Member

My Riley was my steady Eddie..he was not the fastest dog and unfortunately since I didn't know what the heck I was doing with him when we started agility I made him even slower..but ya know we had a little of first place runs because while he may not have been fast he ran clean..He really didn't enjoy agility but enjoyed being with me and working with me so we didn't trial a whole lot plust his 2 bloats put us out for about a year so we didn't get very far ..but as a first agility dog he was great to learn about the sport with

he sounds like a darliing Debbie

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Another nice job by you and Miles. Both courses seemed kind of tricky - especially the JWW course. I think Miles stopped in Std because you did. That's just experience that allows you to keep moving even if its little steps. You both looked great. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon