I think I need to move to Alaska!

Thread: I think I need to move to Alaska!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think I need to move to Alaska!

Or how today's trial went! So, I entered a small outdoor trial, thinking that if there were few enough people, and it was during the week, and it was outdoors MAYBE I cold get a needed win in either Open or Utility toward Kodi's OTCH. Hmmpf. Yup, it was a small trial...only 5 entered in Utility B and 5 in Open B. Kodi and I were one of those five. However, every one else in the class were nationally ranked teams (F+F ranking system), either by breed, or all breed! Dang! Not complaining mind you, but it sure is hard trying to get one up on these great teams! Actually, Kodi did pretty well. It was her first outdoor trial, we had only practiced go-outs to plastic ring gating once or twice..ever, and there was horse and goose poop in the ring! Surprisingly enough, we beat the #5 ranked All Breed dog ( a golden, with a extraordinarily nice handler), and the #2 and #5 ranked German Wirehair. Kodi got a 3rd in Utility and a 2nd in Open with somewhat mediocre scores of 193 and 195 respectively, loosing to the #1 and #2 ranked Brittany. One of these days, we'll we get our act together! Anyway, no OTCH points, as the classes were so small, but did add one more UDX leg (#16) and 21 OM2 points. At least we are back to double qualifying, a feat which eluded us for most of the spring this year. Back at it next month!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Well, it sounds like you had a good day. If your dog can work with such delicacies as goosepoop and horsepoop in the ring, that is impressive. That should've been an automatic 10 OTCH points for all qualifiers!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    That should've been an automatic 10 OTCH points for all qualifiers!
    I like your thinking!

Karen and the gang

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Too bad I don't make the rules! LOL!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Oh I do feel for you! I have been told over and over that northern Ohio and Michigan are two of the most difficult places to finish an OTCh. When I look at the top 100 teams, I see that we regular compete against over 50% of them! That is why I've gone different places to try to finish rather than always competing around here all the time. It is frustrating. But, glad you had a good day. With only 5 in Open B there weren't points there anyway. Oh well. I agree--maybe we need to head way west and north to finish. Where are you now?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by ObedienceLabs4Me View Post
    ....Oh well. I agree--maybe we need to head way west and north to finish. Where are you now?
    A "whopping" 14 OTCH points and about 150 OM2 points and 6UDX2 legs. I am really getting a hankering for a road trip. I did one about 6 years ago down to the Carolinas, Kentucky and Tennessee on a stud muffin tour for Belle and got her UAG1, SHR and CDX titles. It was a blast (and 3,000 miles in 10 days)!

I have never been very far west, maybe next summer the Labrapals and I could go have some fun through Wisconsin, Minnesota and points south. Hoss should be ready for the next level of hunt tests also.

Right now though I am driving a 1988 Plymouth which I am not sure I want to put a lot of miles on. (I probably can not afford a new car until my house is paid off next year). Also, I almost always have at least one or more dogs in for training and/or boarding, which would be alright if I had a bigger van to transport them. I need a 'short bus' or one of those huge travel trailers that the pro handlers have to go to the conformation shows!

If I could get Kodi's front and finishes straightened up, we could easily get in the 198-199 range (well, at least if I could eliminate those 1/2 point deductions that the crooked fronts and finishes are giving us). Now Hoss....my instructor (despite having called him a doofus (sp?) and not likely to succeed 4 years ago), said he may be my most likely OTCH candidate. I just need to get him into Utility. He has already out classed Kodi in both scores and qualified runs. Hehehe you'd think that since I am "retired" and can spend the majority of each day with the dogs I would have more than enough time to train my dogs! What was that saying about the cobbler's kids needing shoes??

I really like the people I am competing against, those that I know are really nice (Maddy with the Golden, Ginny is so nice and has SOOO much fun with Ginny in the ring, it is inspirational).

Karen and the gang

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Wisconsin and Minnesota can be tough, too. Best of success! We're up to 80 points now with all our firsts. Been going to New York for some smaller outdoor trials. Been to Tennessee, too, for some small outdoor trials. Fronts and finishes is what it is all about when you get to that level. Since Caleb's injury our qualifying rate for Utility and Open has gone up tremendously. W'eve finished our UDX2 and OM2 and are almost done with the third in each. His ring attitude is much better. Just 20 more points. I want to get going more with Micah but need to finish Caleb first.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

brody is offline Senior Member

double q sounds pretty good to me
    congrats
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

patm is offline Senior Member

Sounds good to me - I really didn't realize how very difficult it is to get an OTCH- even with a great dog.