Rally questions again

Thread: Rally questions again

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally questions again

Few more questions about minor details...

On the come-front-finish-left-without-a-sit, if my pup's rump doesn't leave the ground and he just scoots from sit-in-front to sit-at-heel, is that going to be points off? if so, suggestions for avoiding that?

Next, I am allowed to take a step or two on the front-to-heel exercise, correct?

Last, I assume I'm not allowed to touch my dog, but if he gets excited and puts a paw or two on me (sometimes he does on the come-front, we're working on that), how many points off is that?

Pretty sure as long as I don't totally mess up we should pass without issues, lol, but I still worry. :P I did find a trainer that was willing to set up and go through a Rally course with me, but with the cost of a private lesson and cost of travel (1 1/2hrs one way), it made more sense to just go ahead and do the shows and hope for the best. At least this way, if we mess up it's cheaper than a lesson, if we do well then we get a pass toward the RN. LOL.
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

On the "Come fromt, finish left (without a finish sit). the dog DOES NOT sit at the finish...as the dog comes around to the left, you move forward BEFORE he sits...it is points off (or IP) if he sits at the finish.

Front to heel...where are you taking the steps? You are allowed to take a few steps backward to get the dog to a front.

Depends on teh judge as to if, and how many points they will take off if the DOG touches you on an exercise.

Really, read the rules and the PRINCIPLE parts of the exercises as to what you can and can not do. Then, of you have questions on the day of the trial, ask teh judge about any particular sign. That is what they are there for.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I can't really add to what Karen said. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Front to heel... dog sitting in front, handler says "heel", dog moves to heel position. Some folks take a step in training to help guide the dog correctly into heel position. Allowed or not allowed in the rally ring?

I've printed off and read the rally regs several times, but didn't recall seeing that one in there.

We did successfully get moved to the B class, for anyone who is curious. Glad y'all mentioned that the other day!

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    Front to heel... dog sitting in front, handler says "heel", dog moves to heel position. Some folks take a step in training to help guide the dog correctly into heel position. Allowed or not allowed in the rally ring?...
    Nope, it's not allowed in the ring.

Good to know. I knew it wasn't allowed in obedience, thought I'd heard someone say once it was okay in rally - guess not!

Claire DVM
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    Good to know. I knew it wasn't allowed in obedience, thought I'd heard someone say once it was okay in rally - guess not!
    You were probably thinking about being able to take those backwards steps on the Call Front. I get to a point where everything just mushes together in my brain and I draw a blank or do something dumb (thankfully in class, not trials! LOL). I try not to get in the habit of taking steps backward on the Call Fronts, tho. In Advanced & Excellent there is a Halt, Call Front, Finish (Left or Right), and you can't take any steps to aid the dog. It's easier for me to not ever take those steps backwards because I'm afraid I'm going to forget when I can and can't. LOL

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

As soon as the dog moves toward heel and is out of your way, you can step forward on that sign and proceed to the next station. But while he's at front and moving away, your feet are to remain planted. It's a stationary exercise. Glad you got moved to B!