5 days of agility, the good the bad and the ugly...

Thread: 5 days of agility, the good the bad and the ugly...

debjen is offline Senior Member

Default5 days of agility, the good the bad and the ugly...

Well we had an interesting 5 days of agility..Started out getting to the hotel..getting the bags up to the 3rd floor room..look around no frig..called the front desk and they said did you call this morning to have them save you one..ummm no I called several months ago to reserve a room with a frig..sorry you have to call the morning of to make sure they save you one..oh really..arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh .. sorry can't help you we are filled up .. we can leave a message and if someone checks out we can change your room.. luckily most of the dog food treats were frozen when we left the house that night in a cooler with blue ice..next morning I check and they don't know yet if the room is free yet but they could put me in a double but it's not clean soooooooooo I have to move all the stuff back into the car so they can clean the room I'm in because they are sold out again and wait until I get back after the agility trial to move into the new room.. which tho it did have a frig had ants too...ugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh and believe it or not that was only the bad of the weekend..

We are at the agility trial..we haven't had our first run and the ugly happens..I'm walking Robbie to go potty, passing the practice jump not close but the dog at the practice jump comes up from behind us and attacks Robbie..I literally had to pull Robbie up by his leash to get him away from the attacking dog..I get Robbie in my arms and the gal gets her dog..I take
    Robbie back to our setup and he goes under a chair hiding and shaking..won't even come out to me until I get some chicken out..When he finally calms down enough (and I calm down enough) I check him out and can't find any marks on him even tho I know the dog had his mouth on him and Robbie was screaming..the gal who owned the other dog finds us to check on Robbie but is already saying oh her dog has been attacked by little dogs (her dog is a Samoyed) and is now going after the little dogs first yeah right...I take our treats and walk Robbie around the agility area and he seems okay..He did run in two classes that day and seemed to do okay. I did report the dog and the committee did a hearing but at the time I couldn't tell them if the dog actually got Robbie or not because I hadn't found any marks..so they ended up just telling her the dog couldn't be off leash except while in the ring..well that night Robbie kept yelping when I picked him up and I checked him over again and found two bruises and a small tooth size scab on his chest..He does seem to be alright now.

the good..we had some nice runs but not a single qualifying score (after seeing your dog attacked I was just happy he was running well and happy)..We also did a 2 day seminar that was good..got worked really hard but it was good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

oh dear - so sorry about the attack - so scary

glad robbie is ok - sorry abotu the nq weekend - but it happens

would love to hear about the seminar too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    oh dear - so sorry about the attack - so scary

glad robbie is ok - sorry abotu the nq weekend - but it happens

would love to hear about the seminar too
    Thanks,

Seminar was good no really new moves but a lot on anazlying the course and looking at different ways to run it..She would put out a course and have us all run it however we wanted. Then we would go back and work on sections looking at different sections..for example one opening was 3 jumps in kind of a stair step pattern with the 4th jump being on the same side as the start line. Most of us ran from the side the dog started on almost doing a threadle type move to get the dog through the 3 jumps and wrapping around the far standard with a front cross to go to jump 4..then she had us run it leaving the dog in a sit stay and moving to the other side of the jumps where the dog ran it more of a straight line and wrapping the dog on the inside standard in a post turn to get to jump 4..kind of hard to explain...We also worked on sending the dog to the back of a jump...this was a concept that I've been having a lot of issues with because it just wasn't making sense to me I couldn't grasp how to do it because I couldn't understand the why and how of it...Stacy mentioned almost in passing the sending to the back was like doing a 270 where you send to the back of the jump..keeping pressure on the dog to remain on the outside..and all of a sudden bells went off and I'm thinking okay that makes sense now..probably exactly what we were doing but now I understand it. .. she did a lot of front crosses and wrapping to the inside of jumps. Still have a lot of processing to do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

very cool - was it stacey pg? ( I have no clue what her whole last name is?)

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Yep .. Stacy Peardot Goudy..loved doing a seminar with her..very down to earth..informal but worked hard..Liked her philosophy..She doesn't follow any one system..thinks we all have our own system and as long as we are consistent all is good...no wrong way to do anything but maybe some other options..
    Last edited by debjen; 09-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.

cool beans
    I've been on an exploring blog reading journey this summer - enjoyed her very much

C Spot Teach

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Wow! Glad Robbie wasn't seriously hurt. I hope the attack doesn't mess with his head. Sorry about the no q's, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    cool beans
    I've been on an exploring blog reading journey this summer - enjoyed her very much

C Spot Teach

I got her website while at the seminar so am looking forward to exploring it. She holds a camp in July that sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Wow! Glad Robbie wasn't seriously hurt. I hope the attack doesn't mess with his head. Sorry about the no q's, tho.
    thanks..he did run in his classes all weekend without any problems ... and was around dogs all weekend and didn't seem to affected..did see him kind of stop and watch while to big hairy dogs walked towards us but he didn't cower or act afraid..just a little wary.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

OMG! I am glad Robbie is okay. I am glad he ran well.

That hotel rigamarol stinks!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1