curious ... aframe training ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curious ... aframe training ...

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaultcurious ... aframe training ...

I'd love to know what different methods folks are using to train aframes .. what performance they are looking for but also how they actually train them .. from start to finish ...

I'm not confident Sally actuallly understands aframe performance so would love to read about other people's techniques

TIA
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

interesting question - we just introduced the A-frame in our class last week (err, a very mini one). No real "training" was done other than bonus points for 2o2o but no real encouragement to do it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Most trainers around here start w/ the small (trainer style) ones, with not near as steep of a slope, iow. They teach the contact zone first, often w/a target plate or just a treat there. Many like the 2 on 2 off contact, though I've yet to really take to it. Since mine know what "whoa" means (slow down you idiots before you wipe out my knees!!!!LOLOL!!!), I slow them down w/a Whoa, point to the contact (and sometimes a treat is there) and say good touch. You can do this using stair steps too if you wish.

I have one half of an a frame that I use as a ramp on my short (2') retaining wall, because I don't want my puppies jumping up or off the wall onto the driveway, so they learn the ramp at a very young age. I'll also teach them the contact by saying sit first. One of my pup owners uses her obed Stand command. Many things work! After awhile all I have to say is Touch and they get it. It's been rare that I've missed contacts but then I don't seem to have the wild out of control agility labs anyhow (though who knows w/ Envy!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks
    I wonder if it's a confidence thing for me - I KNOW Brody is going to hit the aframe on a running contact - he's small which helps but he really understands the job too. Thea being even smaller, you'd think was a safe bet but she was very capable of blowing the contact from WAYYY up - she is now 100 % reliable on it.
    Sally has done very little full aframe work .. we have back chained it - she has a 100% "touch behaviour" on stairs, ramps, floor whatever ... but translating that to the full aframe seems to be slower process than it was with Brody or Thea - neither of who ever learned a true 2o2o behaviour

I overthink agility ... makes sense I'd over think this

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

what is the "touch" command you guys use?

I do alot of touch but mostly to hand (nose to hand) and some to stick (nose to stick). I presume you mean touch with their feet?

Rocky is my "try everything" dog, so that when I do get a dog with more potential I can avoid some rookie mistakes LOL! Plus, there are advantages to working with a slower dog, he actual does things and pays attention to me

kaytris is offline Senior Member

touch on a two on/two off usually means a nose touch to a target plate, at the base of the aframe/teeter/walk.

If I could start over, I'd go back and do alot more work on a lower frame or a baby/training frame, to teach Sophie to gather her stride and rock back on her hindquarters as she descends. She's better, but still sometimes "falls" down the frame if I'm not right there to remind her.

tanya - touch means touch whatever is presented ... my hand, a target plate, my blackberry - whatever I have to present to her - and she gets touch - she will grind her nose into whatever until released ...

I'm with you kaytris ... and thinking about backing right off aframes til I can do that

ok - just confused if you were actually having the dog touch with their nose or not

Can you use a stick as the target (I assume they need to slow down for this) or is a plate/random item at the bottom better? We are using a realy small A frame which is good. Having trouble with the 2o2o but to be honest we haven't commited to really really trying it.

plate on floor is easiest to fade out - or at least that's the thinking

ideally they should be slamming into 2o2o but it seems to me (watching hundreds of runs last weekend VERY CAREFULLY on the frame) very few handlers don't end up slowing thier dogs down some what ...

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

I like Rachel Saunder's box method...clean run DVD for like $30. Starts them in the yard and then puts them on the low a-frame with the box. Really easy to teach running contacts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast