a question of philosophy - goal setting

Thread: a question of philosophy - goal setting

brody is offline Senior Member

Defaulta question of philosophy - goal setting

been awhile since we've had a discussion but I'm curious about how other people do goal setting.. I am getting back to agility and as part of that process am trying to set goals for the dogs (and myself)

some of my goals seem really fluffy ("have fun")
    others aren't very specific at all ("improve contact performance")
    and others I'm having trouble creating a frame of reference for (how many qs/titles are reasonable in what time frame? I just don't know)

My daily training goals/plan come together ok my long range goals are ok - but the in between ones I'm not so sure about

I'd love to know who works with goals - how you frame them etc and for those who don't how do you ensure you keep moving forwards?

thanks
    Last edited by brody; 08-10-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling as usual ;)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

well I've achieved our big goal for the decade, now I'm meandering a bit wondering what's next.. when I have a spare second or two I need to put pen to paper and set some definite plans together

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have certain "realistic" goals and "pie in the sky" goals for each dog.

I always aim for the "pie in the sky" goals, and try to advance our training and experience on a daily or yearly basis by obtaining our "realistic" goals.

For example, for Kodi the "pie in the sky" goals are an OTCH (have UDX), OGM (have OM1), UOCH (have UUD), UKC GRCH (have), RAE (have) URO3 (have URO2), HR (have SHR, not sure I'll get to HR), SH (have JH, not sure I'll get to SH) and a litter or pups (maybe 2 litters...plan on breeding this winter). On the way to these goals, I want to significantly improve my training methods, understand the basis behind them and have a "toolbox" that encompasses a wide variety of methods that are effective for a variety of dogs and their personalities. (pretty vague, I know, but I have learned so much in the last few years with Belle Kodi and Hoss).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I set my goals and try to be realistic when I do so, mainly because I live a ways from most competitions (150 miles from Seattle and 210 to Spokane), and my work consumes my fall months. If i breed, that will consume my winter months which may be difficult for much travel anyhow. So... I focus on what I think is most important to my breeding program which (beyond having the proper health certs) is obedience and hunt tests first. It's all frosting (fun) beyond that. I want my dogs to enjoy life with me, and have gotten so consumed w/ competitions in years past that I know when it's time to slow down and smell the roses along the way now.

My current goal is to figure out how to keep my 3 youngsters from trampling the rest of the veggie garden.... which IS fenced off. Naughty, naughty, naughty...

debjen is offline Senior Member

I don't suppose I have ever set any specific goals..Let's face it..it took 2 years to get Robbie through the novice agility classes..for the longest time our goal was to finish a course without him running off..oh wait that is still our goal...Of course our pie in the sky goal is to have someone get a MACH but realistically I don't trial enough so it could be years before we even get close..my main goals are to improve my handling/training capability and my instructing capabilities and to go as far as we can go while still having fun..earlier this year I was trying to figure out when I might find time to get Robbie's last leg on his CD .. the more I thought about it training (we hadn't done any formal obedience for awhile) and going to a show the more it sounded like work and not fun..so I finally decided to just stick with agility for now..some day when we can't do agility any more then we might go back to obedience (or I win the lotto so I don't have to take time to work and I can spend all day playing/training with the dogs..LOL