Three days of AKC obedience

Thread: Three days of AKC obedience

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThree days of AKC obedience

And there was the good, the bad and the ugly! I have several more pages to add to the book of "My Dog Has Never Dlne THAT in the Ring Before!!"

On Friday, Kodi NQ'd in both Utility and Open...the first time she has blown both classes in one day! She walked the Broad Jump, did not even make an effort! Stinker. Then on Directed Jumping, she stopped between the jumps, looked at the upright for the bar jump and went over to it and did her "task at go out" and smacked the upright, knocking the bar off. It did not take too long to figure out why....I have been using an electric fence post (the kind you stick in the ground made of white plastic) as a go-out marker in practice (I thought it was a clever idea, light weight, portable and between a white one and a black one I could vary the background I could set it against, making the go-oout picture a little harder). Well Kodi saw that white upright pole and thought that she was supposed to "smack it"! Ah well.

Friday was Hoss' Open debut, and bless his big ol' yellow heart he did it with a second place!

Saturday, it was awfully hot. The show is in a metal pole barn and no AC. I bet it was close to 90-95* in there. (and felt like 120* when you were in the ring). Well of the 12 people entered in Utility B, only 2 qualified adn Kodi was not one of them! This time, on the Directed Jumping, she ticked the high jump pretty hard and on the second go-out, ran to the bar jump....looked at it and then walked around it and came back to me. I don't know if she hurt herself on the first jump or not, but jumping is a WAY lot of fun to her. qualified in open with a third place and a 195.

Hoss got his second Open leg with another 2nd place!

Today, Kodi was more like herself and she qualified in both Open and Utility B, although the scores were so-so, a 189 in open and 195 in Utility.

Hoss earned his CDX today and another 2nd place, although not before giving me a heart attack when I threw the dumbbell and he just sat there and looked at me. I did a really heavy exhale "FFFFFFFFFFFFF" and off he went! Lost three points on that, but that's o.k. Since he does tend to be a little wild in retrieving, I tried saying "Fetch it!" in a quiet manner instead of my usual loud voice...so much for that idea!

Over all a pretty good weekend, but I need to concentrate on Kodi's new nuances in Utility. There are 4 UKC shows next weekend in Ann Arbor and I would like to finish Hoss' UCDX and URO2 and Kodi's UUD and start on her UOCH. Phew!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's awesome of Hoss to go 3 for 3 though!!!! I had one of mine do that a few years ago. It spoiled me. LOL.

debjen is offline Senior Member

Congrats to Hoss..that is great..Glad Kodi had a better time today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Overall, not a bad weekend. Congrats on the CDX for Hoss! My dog just shuts down in those temps. In fact we've been kind of cooling our heels all summer because of that. Our big exception is rally next weekend. We are hoping to get that 10th RAE leg.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milesmom View Post
    ... Our big exception is rally next weekend. We are hoping to get that 10th RAE leg.
    Good luck!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)