Explanation of Rally signs?

Thread: Explanation of Rally signs?

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultExplanation of Rally signs?

Anyone know where I can find an explanation of Rally signs? Just for Rally Novice... the AKC site is rather unhelpful. I'm hoping to make it to some shows in September with my new pup, just need to know what he needs to know before we get there. ;-)

Thanks!
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Yahoo has several Rally groups. "Rally-obed" is a great group and has lots of helpful information in their files section. (Signs that you can download in a pocket version...and their explaination etc. Several judges on there also. Their primary focus is AKC, and other groups fpocus on other venues (UKC and ASCA)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

The signs are als explained in the AKC's Obedience and Rally Regulations. http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_...egulations.pdf You can also purchase the Regs from the AKC site American Kennel Club Online Store - Shop for dog related products for your breed or breeds. or just print them out from the first link.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

You dog needs to know how to heel on a loose leash, sit, down, stay, front and both finishes. YOU need to know what the signs mean and how to do them correctly with your dog. The Rally Obed site on Yahoo has everything in it's files. It would be VERY HELPFUL to go to a show or 2 and see how it's done. Has your dog been to any obedience classes or worked around other dogs in a ring type setting?

Micksmom - thanks, don't know how I missed seeing that before!

Karen - thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to have a look at that group. Sounds helpful.

patm - Lijah has been at a few shows (just watching). I put a CD on my BLM in our first three consecutive shows a few years back; as long as I know what I need to teach for Rally Novice and as long as I know how we're supposed to perform the instructions on the sign, I'm quite comfortable saying we can do this, no problem.

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    Micksmom - thanks, don't know how I missed seeing that before!...
    You're welcome. It's actually easy to miss it. I only found it because I knew it was on the site- somewhere.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The only other piece of advice I can give is to take EVERY LAST SECOND of the walk through that you can and walk the course as many times as you can. Look silly and act and talk as though your dog is right next to you. It is WAY too easy to blow right by a sign and not perform it because you are caught up in the moment and thinking about a sign beyond it. I have NQ'd twice (of the 100+ times in the Rally ring...(total for the titles on three dogs) for going right past a sign and would have had a perfect score otherwise (and both times were for title). Otherwise it is not too hard to score well in Rally (and have a lot of fun doing it). It is a great way to get a dog used to having a fun time in the ring!

edit to add:

Also, I do not know where you are, but ASCA (The Aussie club of America) has JUST started Rally as a titling program. Their Rally looks a little more fun and more involved for some of the titling (different titles for legs earned with high scores, and something about earning points for going to Nationals...not having an Aussie, I did not pay attention to some of that). I teach both AKC and UKC Rally, and am looking to adding the ASCA signs to the classes also.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 07-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    The only other piece of advice I can give is to take EVERY LAST SECOND of the walk through that you can and walk the course as many times as you can. Look silly and act and talk as though your dog is right next to you. It is WAY too easy to blow right by a sign and not perform it because you are caught up in the moment and thinking about a sign beyond it...
    To add to that, our instructor suggests the first time you walk the course, just walk from station to station counting off the numbers. THEN walk through another 3 or so times as if your dog is with you.

Karen and micksmom - thanks for the advice, if y'all here don't mind helping a former Lab owner-gone-to-the-dark-side with her Aussie (LOL) I'll probably be back in August and September with lots of Rally questions.

And thanks for the info on the ASCA Rally, I'll definitely look into that. Lijah is both AKC and ASCA registered, so it'd be easy to compete in either.

Claire DVM
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    www.clairedvm.com

You're welcome! Oh, I just remembered something else. On the stationary excercises you need to make it somewhat obvious to the judge that you've stopped. What I do is after we stop or I return to heel position on the walk arounds, I count to three. I learned that from another trainer we took lessons from. The instructor we have now says, "Good dog" before she starts moving again. Either way works.