Started new obed classes tonight

Thread: Started new obed classes tonight

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

CoolStarted new obed classes tonight

Envy (18 mos) started an Open/Utility class and Kiku (14 mos) is in "Novice & Beyond", which covers Open foundations. I have to drive 85 miles 1 way, but I think it will be well worth it. It's a nice training bldg w/ well qualified instructors who are open minded to different training methods (and are not requiring pre-requisite classes despite your actual higher working level).

My primary focus is on distraction training/proofing and I wasn't disappointed at all tonight! Both girls did pretty darned well for being the youngsters in their classes. We are further along than most students on the retrieving work, and Envy really impressed her instructor by doing a go out for directional jumping and glove exercise-- never has done either but that is where our field training is shining thru! I really want to better learn the ring procedure for utility (have done several CDXs but no UD) so this should be great. I also want to learn different methods for scent articles since my field work has tended to interfere w/ that in the past when I've tried. The only other 2 dogs in the class are Papillons, so that's good for Envy too, though we had a long haired chi in our last class locally that was really neat. I also think it's interesting to see the different challenges that different breeds present. Kiku has a little Jack Russell type dog in her class training for Open (doing nice retrieve work), along w/ Envy's sister, and a couple more big dogs that are coming next week.

Both classes were fast paced, so really kept all of us hopping! The drive home was a good time to review and absorb it all. Anne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's great, Anne! Wow, 85 miles each way. I guess I am really lucky to have some really good instructors for both obedience and agility within 30 minutes. Students will follow the good instructors. I just changed training venues, leaving one that is 5 min from my home because my instructor moved.

Yes, the struggles of the different breeds. Many have a hard time with retrieving. That usually comes pretty easy to our "retrievers" (duh!). I had one person even say "no fair!". That was in Rally. My answer was "Try heeling past a food bowl with a retriever!" LOL!

We are also working on scent articles. We are using the Around the Clock method. Not sure if you are familiar with that. My instructor likes that method. She says with that method, they really learn what it is they are supposed to do.

Enjoy your new classes.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

One of my pup owners in NC sent me the around the clock paperwork. I'm going to dabble w/ it. It seems like once you force to pile (FTP) for field, the dog tends to revert to the field instinct of picking up the first article (bumper/bird) since we teach them NOT to shop. I'm hoping since Envy is still young, and Kiku hasn't been FTP yet, I've got a chance. The instructor also explained that her method helped them learn a patterned search on articles, so maybe that's good. Otherwise I tried the tie down method prior when dabbling w/ Rosa years ago.

The gal w/ the one Pap teaches Kiku's class and at first I was a little nervous not knowing how open she'd be to the fact that I use an ecollar w/ my field training (obed too, but didn't bring the collar there). She had mentioned in the pre class email to bring your dumbbells, clickers, etc..... oh oh... I understand how clicker training can shape behavior but it has no real place in my current training regime that I can see. Fortunately, she was totally cool with what I was doing-- and in fact was running into the problem w/ her Pap at Utility of choosing not to do the work and had far fewer options to correct that. Whew. I do my share of positive training/reinforcement too, but a blow off is a blow off and I need my tools to handle that if the dog is out 100+ yds away from me.

Kiku was the only dog to get sucked in by one of the battery operated ball toys (w/ some sort of tail attached) that was let loose, amongst other stuff on the long down. LOL. Not surprised. She proabably thought it was a big gopher! She very quietly got up and checked it out... She's had NO formal obed class (only 1 mini rally class) and all she's learned fundamentamentally has been right here in my yard, so distractions are pretty new to her. She was one of the promptest dogs for sit/halts and showed very nice attention in heeling-- was actually the only to be allowed to stay off lead in heeling last night too, so I'm very happy. My only real issue w/ her all night was when some motorcycles were racing around outside the building for a couple minutes (it's a metal bldg, so not super well insulated) and kind of scared her. She's at that age -- going thru a little oddball stage on thunder and what not, even though she has zero issues w/ gun shot, bombs (live near a military training area), etc.. But, we got thru that quickly so no biggie. All good exposure!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you are happy so far - and I am envious of the name Envy
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a couple of great classes! That is a lot of miles to travel, but once you find classes/instructors that you like, it is worth it!

I used around the clock with Belle, Kodi and am now teaching Hoss with that method. It works very well. It is however a bit tedious for the first few weeks, but soon it moves right along. Kodi is "almost" fool proof on articles. I can even have 30 or more articles set out (all the students in the class set articles in a long jumbled line) and I put my scented article on top of the poop bucket. It does not take long (maybe 1-2 minutes...the time it takes to go through all the articles) before she figures out the game and starts searching further and gets it!!

Our proofing class (open and Utility) is loads of fun as we come up with some really cool proofs. It almost gets to be a game as the dogs learn the details of exercises and get to be "bomb" proof.

Sounds like you have a good thing going and some good dogs to show off!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Wonderful! I know people remark about how far some of us travel to take our classes, but well worth it!

I used the tie down with my first two UD Labs and it worked. With Micah I tried using the clicker and he was doing a full pile within a week. I was shocked at how fast he learned articles! I still cannot get over it. I'm not a clicker trainer but I'll use a clicker to mark behavior.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Good! I'll have more folks to bounce ???? off of. Have any of you who have trained articles using the round the clock method actually worked w/ FF'd dogs (forced to pile for SH/MH level work)? That'll be my biggest stumbling block. This pup hasn't had much in the way of tracking either, so not as familiar w/ the scent work as her grandma was... iow, she doesn't "know" what Find It means yet.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

All my dogs are FF'ed and forced to pile, and there were no problems. Dogs are such situational/contextual learners that there should be no conflict. Just be sure to keep the commands separate. I use "Find Mama's!" for the articles. With the "Around the Clock" method, you are using dumbells, a leash, spray cheese, different commands and are only a few feet (6-20) away from the pile in the beginning). If there wer to be a conflict , it might be that the dog might "shop" at a bumper pile, but that can be easily cured.

I start all my dogs at a really young age "Find Mama's" with a hat (something that has a LOT of scent). I drop it while on a walk , and at first go only a few feet, where the dog can see it. I say "Find Mama's" point to it , and even pick it up and exclaim with a great deal of enthusiasm how brilliant they are to have "found" it. Ever so gradually I increase the length of the drop, and the demand of them bringing it back to me. This is a very good set up for articles. (and a good way for the dog to find anything you may drop on a walk (hat snagged on a tree branch, glove, cell phone.. etc)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

I've really got to find more time to do more of that. It's the downside (one anyhow) of having more than a couple dogs. Those games just don't work as well w/ 7!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's exactly why I am staying with one for the time being. Miles is 4 now and maybe a little behind on training all these skills becauase I am so new at all this. He's my firsd dog. But now, we are training for utility and doing agility. I can't fathom fitting in training a puppy into all this. I am having so much fun with Miles, I just don't feel like rocking the boat. I figure maybe a puppy will enter the picture when Miles is 8 or 9 and pretty much retired.

I certainly admire all of you that manage multiple dogs. I know lots of times you end up with more than you bargained for because of a rescue situation and that is commendable.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1