Thrilled!!!

Thread: Thrilled!!!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThrilled!!!

When I started taking agility classes, I honestly wasn't sure my dog would actually be able to run agility, but I knew the classes would be fun for us at least. I figured it would help build his stamina for obedience, and I think it has. I really wanted to be in a certain instructor's class but her beginners classes are during the day. We just went ahead and got in the other intructor's evening class. I have seen her around from time to time and she really likes my dog. She even was in my obedience class for awhile when she got a new rescue that she wanted to do some obed work in prep for agility. She was at the trial this weekend and she really helped me with my JWW class. Did the walk thru with me, gave me pointers, watched our run and was waiting at the gate with feedback when we came out. She didn't have to do that, we aren't one of her students, but we are friends with lots of her students so she took us under her wing, I guess. She is so nice.

I sent her an e-mail yesterday thanking her and asked if we could be put on her waiting list for her advanced class. I said "by the time a spot opens, maybe we will be ready". She came back offering a spot in her Tuesday night class!! YIPPEE!! So, now we ARE one of her students. I can't be more excited!! Now, I have to figure out what I am going to tell my other instructor. Can't afford both (time or money). Why do I feel like I am breaking up with someone? I certainly won't lie, but I don't want to sound like I think she's better than he is. I don't want him to feel bad about it, I like him and his wife (she teaches too).

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

very exciting indeed

but I'm glad you'll be aware of the instructor who got you to where you are now ... they obviously did a good job too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Maybe one approach would be to say you think Miles needs a change, and or a bigger challenge and you want to do more advanced training. Having watched your videos I would say you and Miles need to be in a class that uses challenging courses for training. You and Miles certainly can do Excellent & Open level courses. That way when you have to do them, you'll be ready and not nervous. In a class I take with Recon we always do Excellent courses. It makes the Novice courses easier to negotiate and I've found it boosts my confidence. I've also learned the hard way you have to be an advocate for your dog. Any chance the instructor who's class you wanted into has a sporting dog and the other instructor doesn't? Maybe that would be an approach to why you want to change. Isn't it funny - you feel bad about changing but I suspect if for any reason an instructor didn't want you in their class they would have no problem "excusing" you. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find teh right thing to say.
    I have to check the August dates for the trial at the Soccerplex. I'm almost sure I can do Friday but if there is an OB trial inside anywhere that weekend, my husband will want to show at it. I am doing the July trial Friday and Sunday - have to decide if I should move Recon up to Open Standard - yikes - or run Novice a few more times. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

THanks for the advice, Betsy. This has been on my mind for a day! Yes, my former instructor has taught us alot and if it weren't for that, we wouldn't be trialing at all. I don't feel ill will towards him, I just can't afford to go to both classes. We went to our first class last night with the new instructor and the difference was huge! She really breaks down the finer points of handling. It will take me a long time to really learn all that, but I learned a great deal in just one class. She's super easy to talk to too. Betsy, I did consider what you said. I need to be an advocate for my dog. I feel we will learn more and go farther with this new instructor. That has to be the primary consideration, not just to stay with the old one because we started with him. I am sure, he won't have any trouble getting another student for my spot. Heck, if I hadn't changed obedience instructors, we wouldn't have a CD now, much less a CDX. But, that was easier, my teacher kicked me out of her class and said I needed to go to her instructor!!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

As an instructor I don't get mad at students if they go elsewhere. There's no point in it. In my area there are three of us that teach agility. I often send students to the other folks. We do run thrus at the other places, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what you want to do. I don't think there will be any hard feelings.

Thanks Linda. Yeah, that is what I am worried about. I have learned alot from him and his wife and I appreciate them. I don't want hurt feelings. I think this is carry over from my horse days when I was young. I had an instructor who completely resented it if anyone worked with anyone else. I am sure it will be fine, and if it isn't, there is not much I can do about it.

Ann & Miles

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - You are right. If it bother's the old instructor not much you can do about that because then its his issue not yours. I think Linda is right - good instructors aren't threatened by a change - in fact - they probably know that it reinforces their reputation. And if you see that the change will help both you and Miles, case closed. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon