apple's past agility trials.. need input

Thread: apple's past agility trials.. need input

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

Defaultapple's past agility trials.. need input

Been meaning to write about it but kept forgetting. We've trialed these past 3 weekends.
    Weekend #1: JWW, her first run ever it started to rain she slid out of the tunnel and wasn't able to break and ran into a jump. She kept going but i lost her confidence for the whole weekend, she's never done agility outside and though she's a tough cookie this seemed to stress her. We got through our first novice leg #2 and the next day i entered one more standard and she did awesome, we were .5 seconds under first place time, but the fact that she gave me everything she got was a great feeling...

Weekend #2: the honeymoon was over. I did one day all three classes. We Q'd in Fast, then came standard and JWW. She slipped offe the dog walk in standard. JWW she saw the judge and flew to her to say hi and would completely ignore me. i continued the course once i got her back, on the way back to me she took a jump and it caused us NQ#2.

Weekend #3: more drive then i've ever seen her have in agility. I wasn't prepared to handle this as i have never had her run fast where i was way behind her.
    FAST Class: once she spotted the judge again she went up to say hi, including the ring crew. She did this one more that weekend. And the other NQ was because i touched her by mistake on the A-frame.

Now........ apple has never done this in class. I have also proofed this with people calling apple to them in class and she's never payed attention to them in class.

outside of trialing apple will "leave" anything i tell her to, no matter how much she wants to say hi to someone around her if she does not get my ok, then she will not approach.
    How else can i proof this and what should i do in the ring when she goes to visit? Its not stress and she doesn't start sniffing and slowing down.... She'll be taking a jump and spots a person and runs full speed and jumps on them. Do i correct this in the ring ? do i not say anything and leave the ring with her... ??? I'll be at another show again this saturday.. i will forfeit Q's if i have to, i don't want to be dealing with this when we get to advanced levels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Thankfully you won't be dealing with it in advanced levels. This is something they seem to outgrow. Many many labs do this. They are people oriented. Just because she doesn't do it at practice doesn't mean she won't at a trial. And it is a form of stress. She's looking for something other to do, than do what you are telling her.

I would just go over to her, remind her you are working, get her back on course, and continue.

You can talk to her in agility. You can even correct her with a voice command, "Apple, leave it," and then go on.

I think you're over-worrying. This will pass, and quickly.

All of my dogs did this their first couple of trials. Then they got over it and ignored the judge.

Come back and talk to me when she gets sucked into tunnels and never comes out again, LOL, then you'll have something to really worry about

Oh, I forgot, the drive and her working so far ahead of you... and you're complaining????
    LOL, you are going to have to learn to work distance control with her and become a better handler.
    It will all come together. Keep at it

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

You said she has never done agility outside before .. you have to remember dogs don't generalize well so even tho she didn't do this at practice new place new situation new things going on..new problems..I would say you've actually had some good trials...I agree that it can be a form of stress especially if she is not listening to you..watch how you are calling her back..is it in a happy tone or are you yelling like she is in trouble..I would continue to work with her..Hopefully with some time she will get over the visiting..remember she is still quite young.

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

linda our first run ever, the jww where she slipped and bumped into a jump is the first time i ever saw apple stress.. She slowed down and started sniffing between the poles. She wanted to get out of that ring. Now, on the other trials when she was beyond driven and hyped up, and ran to jump and say hi to the judge, i don't see how that would be stress??? maybe i just don't see it because at the moment she seems so happy tail wagging a million miles a minute... For some reason i feel that being that apple is such a people dog she felt that would be more rewarding at that moment. Once she was done saying hi, then she came back to me saying "hey ma u were calling me??" which i then continued the run as if nothing ever happend.
    The fact that she came back after a few seconds and i continued the course doesn't it give her the "ok" that "YES i can go say hi to someone because once i'm done ma and i will have a grand oll' time and continue where we left off".... its a behavior that i do not want to reinforce...

deb your right she's never really done outdoors and maybe thats why i'm getting this wildness out of her... don't get me wrong i love the drive and enthusiasm she's been giving me at the trials, but the focus on me in the ring is something i need to work on. And unfortunately it seems like the only way i can work this problem is by trialing a lot more.

The fact that she came back after a few seconds and i continued the course doesn't it give her the "ok" that "YES i can go say hi to someone because once i'm done ma and i will have a grand oll' time and continue where we left off".... its a behavior that i do not want to reinforce...
    That's why I'd go over and get her, don't just call her, go get your dog and tell her, "leave it," and then continue on the course.

I have a bassett hound in my class, she is bred to sniff the ground. She is an awesome agility dog, but when the nose hits a scent, that's all she wrote. I always tell her handler to "go get your dog." Don't just call her and clap your hands, go get in her face, tell her to leave it, and then continue on. It's helped them a lot to "go get the dog" make the verbal correction and continue.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I always tell new novice agility people to have a plan for:
    1 Dog breaking startline stay
    2 dog jumping over or refusing to perform a contact
    3 dog stopping to work and going off(visiting judges workers falls into this)
    4 dog not sitting or downing on table
    5 missed weave pole entry or further poles
    6 knocking bars
    7 running faster or slower on course
    Some novice people say their dogs will never do any of those things, and some of those are right but most novice dogs experience at least one of those problems and having a plan in place the very first time it happens can save further problems.
    Once you have a problem you have to try something different. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome is sometimes called a sign of insanity..lol.

If you have a plan before you go in the ring for the first time and your dog does one of those things you will not be as flustered and will appear more confident and in control to your dog.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca