We are going for it....

Thread: We are going for it....

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe are going for it....

Our first AKC agility trial. It is this Saturday. We entered Novice A JWW and Standard. I only entered one day of the three day trial. One day, partly because I don't know what his measurement will be and partly because I just don't know what to expect, and partly because I could monopolize every weekend with dog stuff and that wouldn't go over too well at home . This judge who will measure is not a VMO. It seems hard to find around here. I guess I will just have to have my dog measured every time until the IX Center in December. I just decided to take my chances, enter regular and hope he measures 22 or less.

Tonight, we can go set up. I think I will just to practice driving to this location. Never been there. My agility class is cancelled tonight so will try to get to Cleveland All Breed's run thru. Give us a chance to work on different equipment and get a feel for an AKC novice course.

Anyway, I am a bit nervous. First AKC agility trial and all.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

goodluck!! and enjoy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

A few tips... make sure you have your number sticker on...do not pass/lead out past the 1 st obstacle till the timer says go... make sure your dogs collar has NO tags on it and is an approved collar. Walk the course a few different ways (your lab may be master or slower than you think at a trial...Know in advance what you will do if your dog...Breaks a startline stay...refuses to sit or down on table, jumps over a contact/doesn't stop...Runs offcourse and ignores you... or does anything else you may not want. Often running a course after your dog does an undesireable behavior can reinforce it and lead to big big problems down the road. (I spent over a year and over 35 weekends of shows fixing a startline stay problem that I could have prevented in my first couple of trials) Have a plan for those common things that happen especially if your dog has never done them before. Things you can do to tell your dog that it is doing something that is not acceptable (in the ring) are..Tell your dog NO!,Down your dog, Stop running the course, Glare at your dog, Pick up and carry your dog out of the ring..etc. Things you may not do are...pinch an ear, strike dog,collar correction of any kind,scream at your dog..etc.
    Remember to enter ring on leash and have leash Attached to dogs collar before you exit ring (even if carrying dog). Remember to remove all treats and training aids from your pockets, even things like cough drops etc..
    Do not panic and try to rush if you have to redo the weave poles, you have plenty of time, make sure that you back up far enough that your dog has room to get the entry if you have to retry them.
    Watch your dog and watch the other dogs and handlers around you, Some dogs get overly aggresive at agility shows and some owners are too busy watching things other than their dogs. Do not be affraid to ask the judge a question. Make sure the gate steward knows where and who you are at least 5 dogs before it is your turn.

Have fun!! relax !!
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Sorry I will miss you at the Soccerplex. I'm showing Recon but Friday only. Perhaps there will be a VMO at the next trial in July and there are trials in August, Sept & Oct too. I was able to have Recon measured twice at the last show so he's all set thank goodness. Good advice from Kelly. I never thought ahead in the beginning of what I would do if something went south. Now I realize I can catch my breath - refocus and keep going. You are smart to set up tonight - space is at a premium. You will be amazed at how full it is at 5:30 in theory before anyone except those who helped set up are allowed to set up. I have yet to find the perfect spot to set up. My suggestion would be set up near the standard ring as Nov Std is the last class of the day on that side - as you face the entrance from the front parking lot - the standard ring is to your right. I always liked to be close to where my last run would be and that way I didn't have to keep going back and forth. You will have time to go home between runs if you want to. JWW should be done by 9am and it could be at least 2pm before Novice Standard goes. At the trial in May, Novice Std on Sunday didn't start until almost 4pm. That's a long time to wait. I know you've done CPE but my CPE friends tell me there is less time between runs in CPE than in AKC. Bring a book if you plan to stay all day. Best of luck to you and Miles. Can't wait to hear how you do!! Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Best of success and have fun!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice Kelly and Betsy! I didn't know about the lead out rule until I was told "go". Good to know! I can run him "naked", right? That's what I usually do (he runs naked, I wear clothes ;-) ). If not, I have a flat collar I can use.

I am all set up by the Standard ring, Betsy. I got there around 6 and there was still plenty of room. Just getting set up made me feel better. The soccer sportplex is nice and I left feeling pretty excited about Saturday. Then I went to CABTC for the run thru, which was surprisingly quiet but I got there, I guess early. At 7:00 there were quite a few people lining up. I was glad I was done. That went well, but people seemed surprised that my dog is a 20" dog so that makes me concerned about my measurement. I guess I will try to jog him around in the morning before he gets mesured. One lady named Deb said to find her and she will tell me which judge I should go to if she knows.

So far, everyone I have met has been very nice and helpful.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

debjen is offline Senior Member

Good luck and have fun..you can run him naked..