How old is too late??? (sort of long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is too late??? (sort of long)

mamazano is offline Member

DefaultHow old is too late??? (sort of long)

How old can a pup get before obedience training becomes difficult? I have Chester, who is five months old, in another class, which again is going the way of the first class. We are learning how to be a good dog, but nothing about obedience. The class is geared towards therapy dogs, and getting the Canine Good Citizen certificate, and I am all for that. But I am worried that Chester will be too old to learn obedience, such as you would do for a CD title, by the time we wade through this class.

I know, he needs the socialization and the skills being learned, and I am all for that. I guess I am just disappointed. I raised a German Shepherd when I was in high school and took her to basic obedience classes at the school in the evenings. She was competing by the time she was 6 months old and had her CD before she turned one.

How old is too late with a Labrador? We would like to put Chester in either Rally or traditional obedience trials and I am afraid he will never learn the skills he needs to compete. Everything we do in class is really lax.

Maybe I am being overly concerned, I have never had a Labrador before, so perhaps he will be able to overcome this. I would enroll him in basic obedience if I could find a good class. Also, we paid for this class and need to stick it out.

Sorry, I guess I am ranting a bit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

you've got PLENTY of time. As for classes, you'll have to do some research - as you've seen, every school will have a different focus - basic manners, therapy dog, foundations for agility/flyball/hunting/rally/compet. obedience. Your best bet for a school that focusses specifically on competitive obedience is to contact your local kennel club that hosts shows/trials - they are likely to have members who compete and who can help you out.

SweetSasafrassy is offline Senior Member

Labs learn fast (they aren't always as focused as German shepherds can be tho). We went to school at a year & a half (adopted dog) and I saw huge strides in just the 6 weeks of class. Do your research tho and find a trainer & class that you feel good about. Have fun!
    Lauren the one who buys Saffy's Kibble

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your help. I have found a group in Sarasota who specialize in Obedience training. I believe I will finish our current class and go on to that. Chester will be well versed in good manners by then.

He certainly is still very much the puppy.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

drop in and watch a few classes before you sign up, to make sure that this is the class that will suit your goals... did a quick websearch and found these:

Sarasota Obedience Training Club - Obedience Classes

and a florida wide listing:

Training Resources

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

One thing that I have found is labs tend to be a bit immature for a longer period than GSD's You might find that 14 -18 months might be the earliest you want to enter a obedience trial.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

You've received very good advice so far. Yes, labs do mature more slowly than many breeds so don't be disappointed if your lab isn't ready to go in the ring a little later than your GSD did. Your dog is still very young and not anywhere near reaching the point of being too old.

The first few classes we went to focused on basic manners and socialization. They were basic classes and probably 99% of the people who take their dogs to those classes never dream of competing. After that, we moved on to more serious classes that prepared us for competition. We did start with getting a CGC. Then we moved on to rally and obedience.

Good luck with your puppy!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

kassabella is offline Senior Member

You have received good advice.
    I think dogs can learn at any age. The older they are it is harder, but no impossible. I adopted Ernie when he was 3.5. He wasn't trained at all. Not even house trained. He earned several obedience ribbons when he was 5. Two being firsts. We did the bronze CGC a year later. He didn't finish it as he became very sick and I become too lazy to finish it.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Again, thank you so much for all your advice. I am going to take a deep breath and focus on what we are learning now, and start some more formal obedience with him as we go. I guess I was spoiled with my first dog, being a GSD and so focused on pleasing me, she was perfection at everything she did. Our Sheltie is a lot like that. Chester, on the other hand, is a big goof ball. And I love him to bits.

So we will continue to massage toes and let Mr. Wiggle Butt mature a bit more. Boy, I have to say this, Labs are goofy. We have a Golden Retriever, but at this age she was impossible and hyper. Chester is a wonderful, new experience.

Last edited by mamazano; 05-22-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: duh, picture woes

patm is offline Senior Member

I have always taught my dogs "sit" and "down" and "shake hands" and that's about it. When I got Emilu I wanted to go further with her. We took a "Puppy Boot Camp" at the age of one, started more traditional training at about the age of 2. We did our first Rally Show at the age of 3, and at the age of 6 got our RAE, and also have our CD. I started Skippy with 'official" classes when he was about 7 years old, and he got his CGC at the age of 9!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast