can anyone tell me about Rally?

Thread: can anyone tell me about Rally?

mamazano is offline Member

Defaultcan anyone tell me about Rally?

I just now heard of Rally, not sure what it is, but would love to get Chester involved. Is there anyone here that participates in these types of shows?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Jeb and Hampton do Rally. Jeb has his Rally Novice title. Hampton is just getting started in training. It is easier and more fun than Obedience. It consists of a number of signs (not sure how many but b/w 10 and 20) that have a task to perform. If you go to AKC.org you can find more info. There are some videos that have been attached to posts here as well. That would give you a better idea of what is involved. There are others here that do Rally and know a whole lot more than I. I'm sure you'll get lots of info.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

mamazano is offline Member

Thank you! I did visit the AKC site and it sounds like a lot more fun than the traditional Obedience trials. I am going to see how Chester takes to it, the trainer we are going to for his therapy training also does Agility and Rally. So we might be able to continue after his CGC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I have mostly done Rally with Emilu. She now has her RAE title, which means that we qualified in at least 29 shows, have our RN,RA,RE and now our RAE. You bascially follow a course, with signs at each station and do what the sign says. Your dog needs to know how to sit, lay down, stay ,do fronts, and know both "finishes".They should also have a fairly good heel on lead - not perfect, but decent. YOU need to know the signs , how to do them and how to follow a course. You get to talk to your dog as much as you want to, clap you hands and pat you leg (in Novice and Advanced), but not touch your dog, or pull it around with the leash. I knew basic obedience with my dog, and mostly learned Rally by myself by buying a good book, and ordering the signs and descriptions from AKC. There are more difficult signs in Advanced and Excellent, which are both done off lead. If you have someone to work with, that's even better - have fun!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Oh wow! Rally is a great way to get ring experience and it is fun.

If this helps, here are some videos of Miles and I doing rally.

Here's an example of AKC Rally Excellent. Yes, we had a rough start because there was a back up 3 steps right in front of a jump. We do agility so the jump was a big distraction. The girl that videod also taped the honor at the end, which is my dog being in a stay while the other dog works.

YouTube - Rally Excellent Youngstown All Breed 10/23/2009

Here is an example of APDT Rally, Level 3. We like APDT rally better. It is more challenging.

YouTube - APDT Rally Level 3-Washingtonville Nov 2009

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1