Recon gets leg #2 in Novice Standard

Thread: Recon gets leg #2 in Novice Standard

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRecon gets leg #2 in Novice Standard

Our second agility trial was Sunday. JWW was 1st thing and I knew Recon would be revved up. We had a nice run - NQ'd because we knocked a bar at obstacle #13 (of 15) and most likely my fault because I cut the turn too sharply. I was able to layer the double jump coming out of a tunnel and he handled two sections of two 90 degree turns really well so I wasn't disappointed. Then we had to wait until almost 4pm for our Standard run. Thank goodness I live close enough to the trial site to go home for a while but we waited around from about 1:30pm. Finally our turn - he did hold his stay at the start line and then once we started - he flew. Recon loves the shows because he gets to do a whole course - no starting and stopping like in class. He really paid attention and did a very good job. We were 24 seconds under course time - Second Place - beaten by 7 seconds by a Border Collie. I am enjoying this so much - I want it to be fun for Recon and I can he see how hard he tries. We have to work on distance and better jumping skills as he tends to flatten out as he picks up speed but he is really fun to do agility with!!!
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Congrats!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

Good job..congrats

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful success. Darn those border collies Your course time is fantastic! Any videos of your runs?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That is wonderful! Sounds like a good trial all the way... isn't it nice when you plan something on course (the layering) and it works so well... that alone is worth the run to me. Nice job!

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! I don't know what layering is, I guess that is somthing I will learn later!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Layering is what you do when you can't keep up with your dog. Layering is when you are running on one side of an obstacle and your dog is taking jumps (or other obstacles) on the other side of the obstacle. So basically you have a "layer" of obstacles inbetween you and where the dog is working. Teaching a dog to work farther away generally improves their speed a lot because they don't have to wait for you.

Congrats on the great job getting your AKC Open Agility Jumpers Title (OAJ). I am really impressed with your layering!

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Awesome Betsy!!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Recon is really fun to run - he loves Agility. I have to work on distance as clearly I can not keep up with him and we need to continue to build our trust in each other. He is a hoot to watch. Off like a rocket. Start line stays getting better but will be a challenge I suspect his whole agility career. Sadly no videos but someday soon I hope.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon