Dare I say it?

Thread: Dare I say it?

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDare I say it?

Since Miles got his CDX last month, we are starting Utility training. I can't even believe I am saying that, much less doing it. We have been working on most of the exersizes for quite awhile now. He already can do a directed jump, signals, and the utility stand for exam. We just need to "perfect them". We started working on gloves about a month ago. He hates the feel of the glove in his mouth but we are making a lot of progress. He can do the seek back now. Now we are working on targeting. We've been practicing the "go-out" for a long time. The lightbulb keeps getting brighter!

On Monday, we started scent articles. We are using the Around the Clock method. Week one is going well, of course week one isn't so hard. He can watch me place the article and there is squirt cheese on the topside. My instructor says it is supposed to be easy this week, we are working on instilling what his job is and ensuring he is successsful. Next week, we make it a little more challenging. He's already sniffing the articles and when he finds mine, he knows to take it and bring to me. Smart boy! Of course, right now, "mine" has squirt cheese on it. Next week, we make him face the other way when I place the article and we hide the cheese on the bottom side.

Utility always felt to me like that lofty goal that was beyond me and my dog. To find myself training for it is, like, "wow!". My instructor was demoing something for our class with Miles and she said "this dog is going to do ulitity so bla bla bla" and I thought "Oh my God, she's talking about MY DOG!". Sorry if I am being obnoxious, I just had to share because I knew you all would "get it" and this is very exciting to me. When I first got Miles, I went to a dog show. I didn't know what I was going to do with my dog then. I watched Utility and thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw but I thought I could never train my dog to do any of that!
    Last edited by Milesmom; 04-16-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Good for you!

I must say that I really enjoy Utility. I did the Around the Clock scent articles as well. I think that if I train it again with another dog I will also incorporate using the clicker.

Ruger was able to get one leg... but no more and I'm tired of dragging him around when its obvious he doesn't want to to it anymore, so for the most part my yellow boy is "retired" and loving it

It was my goal, originally, to get our UD so that I could go on to be a judge, but since I've had so much problems/pain with my feet, there is absolutely no way in he!! that I want to stand on my feet all day long.. not anymore. Also, Obedience judges really don't get much out of it. If anything, I'd rather be an agility judge, they can make some good money over a three day trial... but then again, my feet will never be up to standing all day long.

I hope you and Miles get in the ring and do another one-two-three... then you'll be posting about working toward your OTCH

Thanks Linda! Training for it is fun. My instructor wants us to keep showing in Open B to stay in the ring till we are ready. That will help the OTCH people! So we'll see. He seems to like it too. I think we can do it. I don't see an attempt at an OTCH in our future. The UDX is a big maybe but not an OTCH. I just figure the number of shows it would take to do that is too much since we like to to agility too.

I know what you mean about standing all day. One advantage to agility over obedience is the thicker matting. The matting at some obed and confirmation shows is not cusioned at all! I am a bit stiff from the Medina Kennel Club last night and I was only there 2 hours.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - Someday I hope to get a UD too on a pup I've trained. When I was trying to get a CDX with Doro we had already started some Utility training and he loved it. I know its because he got to think and really figure out what he had to do. If only I could have solved his long sit issue. I think once you start to try things and you are successful, that encourages you to try more and to try things that are difficult. For some people, an OTCH happens before a UDX so you never know. As you and Miles have worked together, your confidence and trust in each has grown. To keep going seems like the 100% right thing to do. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I love Utility! In fact the way I got started in obedience was I happened to stumble on a dog show and when I got to the obedience they were running Utility. I thought to myself "That is what I want to do and achieve! Got my first purebred Lab and the rest is history, as they say! I love Utility! Micah is pretty much trained though all ready. I used a clicker on articles with Micah but I used it too long and had to do some re-training cause he was waiting for the click and when it didn't come he would drop the article, even though it was correct, and go back and look some more. He's much better now. As for Caleb--well what can I say. I've learned so much with that boy! Best of success! I look forward to seeing the two of you in the Utility ring soon!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What fun!

I too love Utility, and while I said I wanted to get a UDX never thought I would actually be able to do it. Now i have aspirations of an OTCH with Kodi, but not sure we will get there. The people I compete against are literally top in the nation (just got my Front and Finish today), but I sure will have fun trying!

Good luck in your endeavor and who knows, your OTCH may indeed come before your UDX!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

I didn't know that that was possible. Well, in any case, we have to get a UD first. So we'll see!

Ann & Miles