I need some serious motivational help!

Thread: I need some serious motivational help!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need some serious motivational help!

I have been a horrible obedience mom this year. We have only gone to classes sporadically because it just got so hard to me to drive 1.75 hrs there after working all day - and I haven't trained at home hardly at all - I mean, almost nothing. I am wanting to try Emilu in Open , but I just can't seem to get motivated to start training regularly again. Usually I sign up for a show and that makes me have to train, but this year I just keep saying - well, we aren't going to make that show - I'll try for the next one. Need some "motivational good thoughts"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

What I do is make a commitment to train seriously one evening a week and do little things the other days (not even formal training .........some fun retrieves and maybe a little obedience skills ...... like go outs or signals or articles). I do take a class where I teach one evening so Bo gets to do stays and work with other dogs present. I also will be going back to field training one morning a week to get ready for hunt tests in the fall. Right now I am setting my goals for attention heeling while I teach open and utility skills before we compete again (hopefully in July). I also find it easier to train when I can do it at home in my own yard with jumps and ring gating (there is a group of us that set up outdoor rings in the spring, summer and fall).
    Last edited by lcspt; 04-14-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It is hard, training alone. I too will sign up for a trial, and then as the trial date approaches I have to make the effort to haul my dog places to practice. But that is the name of the game. You just have to do it if you want to compete.

Drive around your area and look for places you could practice safely. I practiced Ruger for Open and Utility at our local police department, in the parking lot there. I also practiced him at the church parking lot on Saturdays. Also in a local park. I hauled him to any friends house that would allow me to come, set up my ring gates and worked him then went home.

The more you can practice in weird places, the more it will help at a trial.

Good luck, and keep at it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda - love the sig pic!

debjen is offline Senior Member

Do you have anyone more local that you can meet to practice with..I find I'm more likely to go out and train if I plan on meeting with someone. It also then hellps that you have someone that can watch what you are doing and make sure you are doing it right

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

It is hard training alone. The best thing that happened for me and Caleb was getting started in classes with the MacDonalds. Accountability. Plus if you're teaching there is the drive to learn more so you can be better equipped to help. Shows always make me work!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Oh boy! Finding the motivation to "just do it!" is the hard part. It is like anything else you want to accomplish you have to find it within yourself to make the committment. Just like starting an exersize program or quitting smoking. If it were easy, would it be worth doing?

First of all, when if the trial you are thinking of entering? Like many "coaches" say, it may help to write down that goal or put it on your calendar. Then write yourself a little schedule of what you will do each day to achieve that goal. You shouldn't expect yourself to do a "big" training session every day, but you should do something every day-10 minutes-. Persistance and consistency is a key in my experience. I find that if I write it down, I am more committed to it. I guess it is being accountable as Susan mentions.

Example:
    You could on a weekend or day off from work, load up and go to a park with your jumps and stuff and have your "big" training.
    On work days, you could spend 10 minutes each day. Work on heeling and one or two of the other Open exersizes. Work on fronts and finishes.
    Also, while you are doing stuff around the house or getting ready for work, put your dog in a stay somewhere and go do what you need to do and come back. Just don't forget about him ;-) . I recommend building to a 5 minute sit and 7 minute down so it feels short at the show. You can work on random fronts and finishes around the house.

Maybe you can make yourself a schedule and post it here then come back at the end of the week and tell us how you did. That might provide the accountability to keep you going.

I find that when I get home from work, I rarely feel like working my dog. I just want to let him out, feed him and have my dinner. I often tell myself "I should at least go outside and work a little heeling with him." Once we are out and get started, we work on everything I planned for the day. My dog is so happy to be working that I forget how tired and stressed I am from my day. Like excersizing, I know I will never regret taking my dog out to work, but I will likely feel guilty about NOT doing so. Now, my dog keeps me accountable. If I try to blow it off, he follows me around and stares at me. I guess he has me trained too!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

I always seemed to think that I had to work on "everything" everytime we trained, so thinking that I can work on just a couple of things each night, and then maybe have one or two "bigger" training sessions on the weekend makes me feel like it is manageble. We finally went to class tonight, and while the drive there was tiring, Emilu did really well in class , so that made me feel better. I've also discovered that she does a better, quicker DOR with a hand signal for the drop , so I'm going to change to that. Maybe, just maybe we'll get that Q in Open this year.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Rarely do I practice EVERYTHING everyday. I pick a few things to work on and thats it. In agility lately I've been really working Remington on Contacts and Weaves. We don't worry about much else. And I don't drill him to death. We maybe do five or six of each and call it quits. Then we play a bit and run partial courses for fun.

Don't feel you have to do everything all the time. That gets old for you, and for your dog!

Hang in there

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's great, Pat! I'll be Emilu really enjoyed being in class. That long drive would be hard to take. I know what you mean about thinking you have to do it all in each session. I tend to be that way about things too (not just dog training). That becomes self defeating because it isn't realistic. Something is always better than nothing. I have found that more frequent short training sessions are more effective for my dog than fewer but longer training.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1