One more Zeke trial video

Thread: One more Zeke trial video

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne more Zeke trial video

Well, he finished 3 out of the 4 courses. I forget what happened on the one that we didn't finish...I think it was the one where there was a jump/turn that had him pointed straight out the gate and he figured he'd just take the opportunity to go for it.

This one is the tunneler's video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5utmmWAkkso

For some reason this venue is not Zeke-friendly (he's more nervous here than other shows), and he was already tired when we got there because I over-worked him the night before. Anyway, you can see what we're having issues with. He's not really focused in the ring, ends up trotting, and occasionally there are just weird moments where he won't do things he's done a billion times before. Notice his reaction when we get to the 3rd to last tunnel. He also reacted that way to the 2nd to last jump on another course, but I never managed to get him over it. I think shows bring out a little of his old issues with insecurity and nerves. At least he sped up for the last two tunnels....but that should have been his speed for the whole course (he WAS tired, so he has a slight excuse for being slow...but the trotting annoys me).
    Last edited by ZRL; 04-11-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL

Actually, I think he looks a teeny bit stiff in a couple spots on that video - so the over-practicing the night before may be a lot of the issue. I keep forgetting he's actually 8 years old and might need to recover (he was out running in the fields, swimming, playing etc for a long time which we followed up with 30min of agility at top-speed). Oops.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I've never seen a course like that before. It looks like fun. Zeke might have been just a little bit tired. All in all though - he looked good.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I think he looked okay. He had his little "sniff" thing but he got back on track. I wonder if a course of all tunnels gets a little boring for the dogs.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

ZRL

I suppose it wasn't really that bad, but the entire day was out of character for him.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That looks like a lot of fun.
    Zeke runs like Ruger runs... Ruger has slowed down so much I've stopped competing with him because we don't make course times anymore (he's 8 years old too).
    Zeke does look a little stiff in the hindquarters.
    Last year when I was still running Ruger, I gave him Rimadyl the day before a trial, and each day of the trial. It really helped him. Just a thought... you might want to talk it over with you vet. I'm lucky because my vet runs agility with me so she see's things in my dogs usually before I do.

ZRL

Normally Zeke is noticeably faster (this run was somewhere in the 2.4yps range with his tunnel issue and his Q from last week was 4.1yps which is still not his best speed, just his best in competition), so I'm not too worried about his lack of speed being a permanent thing. I think it's just a result of being "green" when it comes to competing even if we've been training for years. I'm thinking once he gets a little more used to performing under pressure he'll stop being slow/tentative.

I am a little worried about that stiffness though, I don't want to have to retire him before we even get started! However, that was the final run of a long day and plus I'd had him out running for an hour the night before (including 30min of agility at his fastest possible speed until he was exhausted). I'm hoping I just overworked him and he was stiff/sore from more exercise than he's used to. I keep forgetting that when I am not there he doesn't get structured exercise, so when I come home and make a whirlwind weekend of training and agility - he gets wiped out. To be fair, I do push him a lot to try and keep up with me (realistically that is pretty difficult).

I'm not sure when I will have time to train/show with him again, but if the stiffness re-appears I guess I'll have him checked out.
    Last edited by ZRL; 04-12-2010 at 06:53 PM.

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Good Job Zeke! I think that NADAC is such a long day. Once the games would start Maddie was DONE and exhausted.

ZRL

NADAC is a long day even for me. I just checked the the other video clips my mom took and that is actually the ONLY run of the day where he didn't trot the entire thing. It was also the last one....who knows. We'll do better next time.

Though next time certain people at the trial should avoid making remarks about my dog while they are standing next to my video camera (I actually heard them from all the way inside the ring too). Doesn't bother me too much though - I saw them run later. The dog is great....but it's definitely not their dog. They crashed and burned and got 1 on 1 time with the judge (apparently they broke a rule). I have to admit it made me happy.