Another GREAT weekend with Shamrock

Thread: Another GREAT weekend with Shamrock

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Thumbs upAnother GREAT weekend with Shamrock

This weekend we did an ASCA trial. I don't get to show Shamrock in "regular" obedience too often but I do get to show in ASCA. We entered Open B. I figured I'd watched my husband do Open B so many times, I knew the orders almost by heart. We got two 1st places and on Sunday, a High in Trial in the afternoon show. All in all - great fun. We still need one more leg for our ASCA CDX title. Hopefully there will be another trial in the fall. ASCA is way more relaxed than AKC but the judges can still be pretty tough. I was thrilled with Shamrock's 1st HIT.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Awesome! Congrats!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

woooooooooohoooooooooooooo congrats

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your HIT, that is wonderful!

What is the difference in the exercises in ASCA? Why do you feel it's more laid back? Just wondering. Thanks for any info.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! That's wonderful!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Linda - The Open exercises in ASCA are the same as in AKC. In ASCA Open B I think there are 5 different orders you can be asked to do. The rules show a small difference for the Broad Jump - instead of standing between the 3 or 4 boards, you can actually elect to stand beyond the boards and have your dog do a 90 degree turn to a front rather than a 180. This seems to be a new rule and neither judge this weekend asked me which way I was going to do the broad jump. I did it the "traditional" way. It seems more laid back to me because the atmosphere is more relaxed. Saturday morning we were a little late in getting started due to a last minute judge change and no one seem worried or frantic. We all just kind of waited and when the judge was ready, we started. Most competitors offered good luck to their fellow competitors and seemed genuine about offering congratulations when someone did a good job. I don't always think that's the case with AKC. NEOhio has some very competitive OB teams and from my perspective I don't always think all of them subscribe to the AKC code of good sportsmanship. There are a couple of people who I've seen do some outrageous in my opinion things to gain a "competitive" advantage and their reputation seems to save them from a reprimand. None of that in the ASCA trials I've been in. I did an ASCA agility trial a couple pf years ago and I enjoyed that too. I just can't do 5 courses a day anymore if I ever could. ASCA also allows same day entries, usually, so there's some additional flexibility if you need it. And since its for me just for fun - I find I'm not really nervous when I'm in the ring. B
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ah, I see.
    In my neck of the woods I've always found the Obedience folks to be most helpful. In what little bit of showing I've done in Obedience (about six years) I've met some of our area's top teams and they always speak to me at shows, ask about mom, offer advise, etc. These are AKC shows, thats the only obedience I've done. I don't think I'd enjoy showing where it's so cutthroat either.

On the flip side, we have some highly competitive agility teams that won't give you the time of day at a trial (AKC). I just go on about my business of having fun with my dog and don't worry about them.

Linda - I suppose showing dogs is like many things in life. Some people are the kind you never want to know. Most are people that are fun to talk to and share time with and some become really good friends. I didn't mean to imply that the top OB competitors here are not gracious. Most are and most are willing to help when asked and may even offer a suggestion from time to time. There are just a few that are really in my opinion bad news and while they, I am sure, consider themselves in the top tier, I never would because they are bad sports. AKC Agility here is as you describe there. Shamrock and I are never seen as any kind of a threat and that was never my reason for doing agility in the 1st place. I've met some great people that are nice to see from time to time and who seem to believe if you do well its not a negative for them. I guess I just don't understand the poor attitudes in that everyone enters the ring with a perfect score and then when happens next is mostly up to you. I've never done UKC but have heard that its less stressful than AKC. ASCA is a nice venue for me to do OB. Around here some people do APDT rally and C-WAGS and really seem to enjoy those venues as well. CPE for agility always gets high marks for fun. Since at least for me, the funds for dog show entries are not limitless, I try to choose what I think would be fun for me and for my pups. Mostly AKC but occasionally another venue. B
    Betsy