Petra & Tyler's Crufts Run Off (video)...

Thread: Petra & Tyler's Crufts Run Off (video)...

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm exhausted watching that heeling pattern!! What a team!! Was one of the judges calling the pattern or did Petra have it memorized like they do in Schutzhund?
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt View Post
    I'm exhausted watching that heeling pattern!!...
    It is a long one, isn't it? I saw stuff we've been doing in classes over the years,a dn some rally turns.

...What a team!!...
    Aren't they great? I love how Tyler's tail not only wags through the whole thing, but also in time to the heeling pace.

...Was one of the judges calling the pattern or did Petra have it memorized like they do in Schutzhund?...
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to ask at class Thursday. I did notice turns were made where the jusge that was moving with them stopped, so maybe that was the "signal"?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Just watched it and I have to ask... why does she hold her arm like that, it looks very stiff and robotic to me. I guess it's a sticking point from my horse riding days, but I like to see elbows in!! I think her arm out that way throws her body position out of kilter and to me she walks way too stiff in her body.

Unfortunately, with a team this high classed, these things she is doing will trickle down and become vogue and we'll soon be seeing lots of others with their arms like that and walking so stiffly.

I much prefer to see a team that moves naturally and gets the job done.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok WOW! I admit I have never seen anything like this (ugess I need to get out more)! I was wondering how she knew what to do as well!

Can you talk to your dog? I can't imagine my dog beign that interested for that long without SOMETHING but he's lazy and needs constant motivation
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Just watched it and I have to ask... why does she hold her arm like that, it looks very stiff and robotic to me. I guess it's a sticking point from my horse riding days, but I like to see elbows in!! I think her arm out that way throws her body position out of kilter and to me she walks way too stiff in her body.

Unfortunately, with a team this high classed, these things she is doing will trickle down and become vogue and we'll soon be seeing lots of others with their arms like that and walking so stiffly.

I much prefer to see a team that moves naturally and gets the job done.
    LOL Betsy used to teach us to put our hands right where your belt buckle would be for heel position. I still do it, but not with my elbow sticking out like that. Actually, my understanding is you can't do that in the AKC ring anymore. If you watch the video of Petra & Tyler from tha AKC Invitational, you'll see that her elbow is more relaxed during the heeling, but she sticks it back out in between them. I think it's how she keeps Tyler under control between excercises. As for why she did it at Crufts, the only thing I can think of is that's how they do it over there. I know she had to learn all kinds of new things to compete there, like footwork, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    ok WOW! I admit I have never seen anything like this (ugess I need to get out more)! I was wondering how she knew what to do as well!

Can you talk to your dog? I can't imagine my dog beign that interested for that long without SOMETHING but he's lazy and needs constant motivation
    In traditional obedience here in the States, you can't talk to your dog during the excercises, other than to give verbal commands where they're allowed. I think it's the same in England.

Wouldn't you know, I totally forgot to ask about memorizing the heeling pattern today! DUH!

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

linda i see where you're coming from. But as a dancer, especially in point/ballet, your core is your main muscle, your butt needs to be as tight as stomach muscles and you need to lean on the ball off your foot to have the utmost control over your body. as for her walking she's doing heel, ball, step and leaning front which gives her a better take off and control especially with the amount of space she needs to cover... I walk with all muscles tighten on the ball of my foot so i too seem very mechanical but i feel i have best control over my body that way. Posture really peeks my confidence up, my dog feeds right off of it and it gives us a much better performance at practice.... IMO.

As for the arms... i agree... maybe its her nerves.
    Last edited by Deanna1002; 03-25-2010 at 08:17 PM.