Agility rescue

Thread: Agility rescue

browneyes is offline Junior Member

DefaultAgility rescue

I plan on getting another lab this spring or summer and will be looking to find a rescue, probably male, somewhere between 3 and 12 months old. I would love to eventually train him to do agility, however, I've never done it and have no idea what personality traits I should be looking for. Could some of you that do agility give me some tips on the traits I should look for that would suggest that the dog may have an aptitude for agility?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'd look for one that has some drive and is willing to please you. Those two things really help with all training that you may do. Good luck!

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

yes, drive and is just eager to do things with you.

Can't wait to hear about your puppers when he/she comes along =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

I'd say willing to make you happy and wanting to please you is more important in a first agility dog than drive .. you can build drive
    drive is lovely - but too much drive is challenging too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

browneyes is offline Junior Member

Thanks to those of you that responded. I'll let you know how it all goes!

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I would vote for confidence as the most important trait. A shy unconfident dog is going to be very unhappy at an agility trial. A confident dog will do well in that kind of enviroment. Drive is more a personal taste type of thing, so pick what you like or maybe toward your upper threshold. You want to stay away from a reactive dog as they can get into problems with all the pushy or out of control dogs at agility trials. Your dog will be a pet first agility dog second. watching how a dog reacts to a sudden noise that startles it and how quickly it recovers (or if it does) can give you an indication of some things. A dog that is startled and then recovers and then goes to investigate is a dog that will be ok in a show type enviroment.
    A dog that runs and won't go back or that turns and shows agression should be avoided. Agility is the most physically challenging thing for a dog (there are a few more things that are more) so good body structure is a must. Less confirmation and more field type lab seem to do better at agility. Keeping the dog a bit on the lite side helps with health issues in agility.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca