Hmm, I'm really thinking this will be my next dog...

Thread: Hmm, I'm really thinking this will be my next dog...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHmm, I'm really thinking this will be my next dog...

I've been researching BC breeders, and I really like these folks. The dogs are stunning. I really like the looks of them.

Does anyone know anything about these dogs/breeder personally. Would like to hear any input if you have known a dog from this breeder, etc...

Holther Border Collies

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Linda, think long and hard about a BC. Talk about intense. Just remember Debbie and her dogs.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

a BC named brandy from my agility class is from there!! She is an awesome dog. I heard the breeder is super nice. The lovely thing about this dog is that she's not over the top crazy border collies, but has top notch drive, does not bark one bit, and super sweet. If i were to ever get a bc it'd be from them.

Heres one of brandys video : YouTube - westie4235's Channel

Alisa her owner has many other videos of her on her utube site.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

here's Brandys page on the breeders site : Brandy

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buddysmom View Post
    Linda, think long and hard about a BC. Talk about intense. Just remember Debbie and her dogs.
    Yeah that. I don't know Debbie and her dogs, but I can honestly say every BC I've met has been too intense for me. But, if you want, there's some BC people on a couple of other forums I'm on that I can ask about the breeders.

Actually they are not. I've been talking to a lot of the breeders and there are basically two types of BCs. The hyper drive ones and the more laid back ones. Most of the laid back ones are bred for the conformation ring (and personally I like their looks a LOT better than the long wiry type.. .like Debbie's dogs).

I've met a few at the trials and the conformation type are much more lab like, seriously. They have the drive and will to work, but when they aren't working they are laid back and pretty easy going.

Cool, I like Brandy, she is an awesome little dog.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I've been researching BC breeders, and I really like these folks. The dogs are stunning. I really like the looks of them.

Does anyone know anything about these dogs/breeder personally. Would like to hear any input if you have known a dog from this breeder, etc...

Holther Border Collies
    BC are smart, but not necessarily obedient, whereas most labs are obedient people pleasers and lovers.

We had a mixed BC/lab. Sweet and smart, but only obedient if she thought you really meant it. The biggest difference have been walks. Sam our lab walks with us. Not as close as most labs do, but she keeps us in sight and wants to be with us. Skippi not so much. We would take her out to the woods and meet her at the exit. I'm sure she kept a rough eye on us, but we never/rarely saw her until the end when she'd meet us at the stream on the way out. She was also more of an outdoor dog. She would sit out on the back porch for hours "guarding" the backyard in any kind of weather. Skippi was so bright, that when her dish was empty and no one noticed she'd bring it to us. She was not easily bribe-able by food, because unlike Sam food was not so important to her. Skippi was a grazer. Sam's a lab through and through, if it's food she'll do anything for it.

Both dogs were rescues. Skippi at 6 months 2 previous owners. Sam at 14 months 3 previous owners.

Skippi was a lovely dog-just way, way more independent than Sam. If you want a loveable, huggable dog calm at home dog, choose a lab.

(Skippi was loveable in her own way, just not as huggable as Sam.)

Last edited by Sams Mom; 03-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

One of my agility instructors has border collies. She prefers the smooth ones. Less grooming. I would too, I like these wash and wear dogs. She also says that there are sane border collies and border collies that are on crack. Of course, I am singing to the choir here. Anyone who's been to an agility trial or two have seen both kinds. The super high ones, sure have the potential for brilliance in the agility ring but I couldn't handle or live with one of those. Gotta get their feet on the ground long enough to train them! Jeez! But, others are not so nutty. Her advice would be, like any breed, choose your breeder carefully and observe the temperament of the parents. I have another friend, who is a C-WAGS judge, that has 2. She tends to get the taller and leggier ones. Both her senior and her puppy (about 9 months) have brains between their ears. They can keep their feet on the ground and give you full attention.

Good luck in your search!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1