Question for Agility Peeps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Agility Peeps

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for Agility Peeps

Do you run quiet or do you run loud?

I am trying hard in my training now to run very quietly because I've been noticing that Remington actually pays MORE attention to me if my voice is very low. When I get loud, like trying to bribe him out of a tunnel, etc.. he tends to shut me off.

I am finding it very hard to run quiet. I normally am a constant chatterer and cheerleader with my dogs, at home, at play, at shows.

Curious if you run quiet or loud, why and why not, what works for you etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I run quiet because that's just how I naturally am. Apparently this is problematic with Zeke because I'm not exciting....he's retired now anyway though, so it doesn't matter. It's not like being exciting ever worked either.

Magnum and Ruger always love the interaction with my and my constant voice.

Remington seems to really focus when I give him very quiet commands. Go figure. But it's hard to keep quiet when I'm used to using my voice a lot.

I'm finding it's also a LOT easier to run quiet because you breathe much better!! I have much more oxygen left after running quietly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog and the circumstance..my dogs actually tend to run better when I am quieter..unless Robbie's ADD kicks in...then I tend to get loud excited anything to get the attention back on me..LOL

Deb, that is what I do as well, but I'm beginning to find with Remington that if I'm quieter he listens better. Instead of cheering at the end of the tunnel to get him out, I now kinda wait there and when he scoots (on his back) toward my end I tell him very quietly, "Leave it," and he seems to listen better than me cheering "Cookie! Come get a Cookie! Let's Go!"

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I am still trying to figure this out. My instructor advocates for running quiet and saving your voice cues for when you really need them. He says when we chatter too much or use their name too much they tune us out. Like kids do. 'bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, whatever!" My obedience instructor said the same thing. One of my friends who does rally, where you can talk all you want, was told the same thing. We were doing a heeling pattern and she was saying "sophie, watch, watch, watch, right here, watch" the whole way. She was told that she should cut back because Sophie was completely blowing her off. The voice cues just didn't mean anything anymore. Of course, how do you change a habit when you are running agility and things are happening so fast?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Both of my dogs get stressed easily. I have been known to yell out "Maddie this is my favorite part". I am sure the judge thinks I am a nut. Also when they achieve something in a trial that we have been working on at home. I will cheer for them. When Maddie hit a difficult weave entry this last weekend I told her "you rock girlie". I mark correct performance with a yes. Otherwise I am pretty quiet I work hard on having as much fun as I can to relieve my stress and my dog's stress. That is my primary goal. If I can answer that we both have had fun...successful run.

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

for the past two months now i run and keep quiet!!! apple is very intune with my body, and she seems to block everything when i say too much as i run her. Only thing you'll hear from me is switch, in, out and go.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I used to say "hup" for every jump and here and Amber and a whole bunch of other comands. My timing was so bad I was distracting Amber so much she ran slower and worse. I was told if I couldn't get the timing right for comands to just shut up and run. I quickly found Amber could pay more and better attention to me and she was alot faster and more accurate. I no longer tell her to jump any jump, and I do not tell her any obstacle name except for tunnel or table. I find I can run faster and am not gasping for breath so much at the end of a course. I train the same way I run courses. So a run from me might sound like this from start to finish....Heel, Stay, OK, Table, Sit, OK,Tunnel, Here, Good Girl!!! (after we finish). OK release for Start and from table. Heel into ring with a stay. Here after the last jump. Praise after the leash is back on. The less comands I give the less I screw up...lol
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Sounds like a quiet run is the preferred for most. I do give him "Good Boy!" and Yes! when we nail something like his weaves, or coming out of the tunnel Other than that I am making a real effort to run quietly. I may not run silently... because I still like to talk to him but I do it very quietly.

The first time I noticed this was at a run thru I went to. I didn't want to go to the run thru because I was more than a bit pi$$ed off at the folks there for something they had done to me, but my dog needed to go, so I went. I pretty much kept to myself and kept quiet... and that's when I noticed how well Remington ran the course (and the other folks noticed it too because we got a nice cheer at the end of our run).

So for me, I will strive to run quietly with my dog, and of course have fun with him too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast