Hmm, anyone think a Toller might be nice...
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmm, anyone think a Toller might be nice...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHmm, anyone think a Toller might be nice...

I'm seriously thinking of a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever for my next dog. I've been talking to several people about them. Seems they are pretty smart, sweet temperment, good work ethic, fun to train, do well at agility and obedience work. And I like the size, and the color.

Any input about this breed appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I've liked the ones I've seen. They did well in Obedience and Rally and were very friendly/confident. One lady at one of the sporting dog shows was showing 3 of them in the performance events along with breed. They don't look like they would be too much grooming work.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd compare them to border collies in drive and intensity. Many that I've met (esp. certain lines) have dog aggression issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Many that I've met (esp. certain lines) have dog aggression issues.
    Isn't this true in all breeds now. I can't tell you the snarky labs and goldens I've seen. And border collies and aussies. It amazes me. I don't know if people just aren't socializing the dogs or what.

Both Magnum and Remington have a propensity to be snarky and I have to keep them in check and jump their ass... and I mean jump their ass. I simply do NOT tolerate that behavior in my dogs.

I think a lot of "aggression" issues I see are due to handler ignorance and fear. I can't tell you how many students I've had who are afraid of their puppies... their PUPPIES. I flat out tell them if they don't correct the behavior now, it's going to be 100 times worse when the dog is 60-80 pounds. And it is. One student had a BC that was terribly snarky as a pup, today he's an adult with a bad attitude.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I have a Toller at my building from one of the top Toller breeders in the nation. Love her work ethic. This man has had Goldens for years and competed with them. They can be dog aggressive--Caleb has been attacked by a Toller and even for as sweet as Roxy is with us, he continually has to watch her around dogs. Even this breeder will tell you that they can pick a dog to not like and be pretty nasty. They are a retriever but they do not have the retriever temperment that we are use to. Bill admits he probably will not be able to bring another dog into his house as long as Roxy is around. Corrine who is the breeder, and has won numerous top breeder awards is very up-front about her breed. She has multiple Tollers living together but she's had fights.

That all said and done, if I were to have an only dog I would certainly consider a Toller. Corrine's dogs are mostly titled at both ends with not only breed titles, but obedience, hunt tests and now she's doing agility. I would interview the breeders you are considering. See how honest they are about the breed's issues. I do love Roxy and I love the bitch that Corrine is currently working on a CDX with.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Hm, well maybe they aren't the dog for me because I couldn't stand that in my house. My dogs HAVE to get along or there's going to be one seriously pissed off alpha bitch in the house (me).

Guess I'll keep thinking of what to get. I want something smaller than a lab for my next dog.

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

Theres one in our agility class, a female who loves apple!! She really trys so hard to get away from her owner to visit apple. She's real sweet and shes 1 1/2.
    The owner also said that her neighbor has a black lab and they're the best of friends!!!

I honestly think a big percentage of it has to do with the way you raise the pup, lots and lots of socialization and boundaries.. because like you said my choc lab just couldnt get along with dogs, hated them!! But that was all my fault as i did not give him the socialization he needed.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Are you looking to stay within the sporting group?

I know some people dislike them, but I have always thought corgis were cute.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'm around them constantly on the dock diving circuit and there's a few in the superdogs as well. Nice dogs, like their drive, but that "toller scream" would drive me to drink. Heavily.

Next time I go to a workshop I can record it for you, it's blood-curdling!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

No, I do not like Corgis. Never have.

Toller scream. Oh gosh, I'm thinking a sheltie bark might be better than a toller scream, right? LOL.

Guess I'll keep thinking of a smaller dog to get.

Unfortunated I am not a terrier person. Lots of cute little terrier dogs, but I just don't think my personality goes along with terriers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast