getting started at tracking

Thread: getting started at tracking

creatism is offline Senior Member

Defaultgetting started at tracking

ok i have an idea, just want to get an idea of a starting point.

i have done scent pads and step tracking before. not sure how to descibe this. but here it goes. i would like to teach him how to track a blood trail. just would like some advice on how to get started with this.

thax dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have taught all my dogs to blood trail...it is in fact why I got a dog (Belle) in the first place.

Depends on when you want to start. If you are talking about tracking deer, the best time is during deer season with known dead deer that have a good blood trail. (double lung/heart) that drips and sprays heavily. Preferably, the deer drops within sight and you do not have to track it yourself first (which just adds your scent to the equation). Put the dog on the start of teh blood and point to it and give what will be your tracking command (I say Dead Deer! Find It! Dead Deer!!!!). More than likely, the dog will follow the heavy blood trail right to the deer. Make a HUGE fuss about it and let the dog lick the deer (don't let it chew the deer, that gets to be a pain if you use it to track a deer that you then have to drag out of the woods with the dog chewing on it). Continue with this kind of set up making each track a little harder. I had the previledge of being a sharpshooter and could pick and choose which deer I trained my dogs on. Tell your friends about having a blood tracking dog and they are more than likely to help you train just in case they need it if they wound "the big one" and need assistance.

If it is off season (I started Belle like this), find a source of blood. Ask a butcher. Buy a live chicken from a farmer. If you have a container of blood, and it is liquid enough, use a syringe to suck some out and spray in a straight line, progressively getting longer and more turns to it. Gradually let the track age also. If you can get a live bird, slit the throat and let it bleed out as you make the trail. (O.k. kinda gross, but...well...he asked!). Really though using known finds is easiest and it will not take long for the dog to get the idea.

In Michigan the dog has to be on leash in order to track deer. (I have been stoped several times by the cops asking what I was doing). Here, als no one in the party can be carrying a weapon. Once the dog knows what it is doing be prepared to be drug through pricker bushes, ponds and space so small you would swear a deer could never get through! However, it is SOOOO much easier to track a deer at night with the assistance of a dog than crawling on your hands and knees turning over leaves. When it comes to the real thing, the dog can be 30 yards downwind of the blood trail and still be tracking it by air scenting.

Oh, also with a dog, if the deer stops bleeding, the dog will follow the hoof scent of the deer. Belle did some incredible tracks in her younger days! There are organizations that specialize in this, I think they are in New York? Google it. I think they say that even with a tracking dog only about 30% are found, because teh deer is not dead in reality. I have been on numerous trcks where 2-3 hours into the track the hunter said "Oh, well I guess the arrow did only go in about 2-3 inches....I was just hoping that it died"....grrrr.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

creatism is offline Senior Member

thank you that is pretty much what i had in mind. was looking for some help tracking down my kills when i hunt.

figured the only trips i make is to go hunting and back packing, well the back packing is no brainer he can go with me on that one. and figured if he went hunting with me i would put him to work

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The absolutely main thing to remember is

TRUST YOUR DOG

For example..

Belle tracked one of my bow shot deer 1/2 mile to the edge of a lake where 3,000 geese were landing (waterfowl santuray) and kept pulling toward the lake...after dark. My reaction was *sure....No Belle, the deer is not out there, you just want to get to the geese* Nope, went out the next day and 30 yards out, just the tip of the deer's ear was visiable. The deer went out into the middle of the lake and died!

Many times I have questioned the air scenting of a blood trail I *knew* the deer had not traveled that way, but Belle was air scenting the track and was indeed correct.

TRUST YOUR DOG

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)