Shamrock NQ'd in an Agility Trial in a way I never saw coming

Thread: Shamrock NQ'd in an Agility Trial in a way I never saw coming

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultShamrock NQ'd in an Agility Trial in a way I never saw coming

Saturday's Excellent Standard Course was really nice - good flow - some tricky spots but I thought doable for us. Ah - what folly on my part. Table was a sit and then to the weaves, a tunnel and the chute. Table is OK. I say go weave and then wonder where has my dog gone. About 10 feet straight across from the weave entrance was the teeter entrance and Shamrock has gone behind me and posed on the teeter as if waiting for a treat, not headed up on it but down as if he had already done it. This is a trick of his that he has done since he learned to do contacts. Still does it for treats but never in a trial before. OK so I think I have him and whoops, back on that teeter. Judge is laughing, crowd is laughing and actually I am laughing because it was funny and so unexpected. We aim for the weaves one more time and he does a couple then pops out. Since we'd already NQ'd and weaves were just not working for us all weekend we went on and the rest of the course was great. I have resigned myself to the fact that this memory will last longer than if we had Q'd but I must figure out the weave issue. Shamrock's jumping was OK so I don't think he's hurting but the weaves may be causing him some kind of different pain than jumping would. I'm going to take him tonight to do some practice on the weaves. We've been using the 24" weaves at trials here and maybe he liked the 22" ones better. Its not so good when the weekend highlight is a funny NQ.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

LOL, it happens to all of us. Glad to know he loves his teeter!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have resigned myself to the fact that this memory will last longer than if we had Q'd
    Yes! You know it!

Its not so good when the weekend highlight is a funny NQ.
    Oh, I don't know. Angus has done some pretty goofy things in trials, and it bothered me a lot more before I started putting together his "blooper reel." After I started compiling video for that, I realized how much more fun it was to watch those! It had the happy side effect of making me feel like, "Well, either we'll get a Q, which will be great, or I'll get something good for the blooper reel, which will also be great!"

I LOVE your story about him doing his little "trick" on the teeter. LOL! I can just see one of the boys pulling out one of their treat-getting behaviors in a trial. I wish you had video of it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

*G*..yep I remember those runs longer too..

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Shamrock wanted a snack and thought that might be a good way to get one!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

Shamrock is a true lab 24" weaves are supposed to be better for the large dogs. Less twisting of the body. What is Shamrock doing in the weaves that is causing concern? Why do you think he's in pain. Could you post a video? Also, I would love to see a video of his funny NQ We all have them.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

I SO wish I had a video of Shamrock's escapade on the teeter. Our club does record and show the runs as the trial is progressing but I was too late back to the room where the videos are shown to see it. I must say I have a pretty clear picture in my mind but that doesn't translate to a video. I sure wish I had a blooper reel - it would be longer than our Q videos but way more entertaining. I did some weave work with S this week - and wouldn't you know - didn't miss a one. Offside, onside, fast, slow from a tunnel, to a tunnel, jump etc. So why such issues at the trial. Not sure. I think somehow he knows that if we Q one more time in JWW & Std, that's it for AKC. He'll be ten in June and I do not want to press my luck with any injury. We'll do some CPE, I hope, at lower jump heights but 20" is as low as I can go in AKC. Next trial is mid March so I am hoping for the best.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon