CPE agility on Sunday-teeter problem...

Thread: CPE agility on Sunday-teeter problem...

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCPE agility on Sunday-teeter problem...

Had kind of a rough day at the agility trial on Sunday. We started out with Jackpot. In that class, they combine all levels and were running small to tall. With 400 dogs there, we had a very long wait between walking the course and when we got to run. When I walked the course, I was very conscious of the teeter totter and practicing a turn to avoid it. I probably should have planned a course that gave it a wider berth, but I thought we could turn so I would be between Miles and the teeter. I always walk my courses over, and over, and over again to try to build some muscle memory! I keep walking pretty much until they kick me out!

Even so, by the time we ran, much memory had fallen out of my head and Miles was fired up and flying like a cannonball. Being first run, I was nervous and probably not queuing like I normally do. Well, we didn't make the turn I wanted and he got on that teeter and it scared him. I tried to get him back on it later and he was not having it. Ugh! I wonder how many years it will take to fix that? Of course I sent a big note to my instructor pleaing for help to work through that. I am just sick about it.

Otherwise, things went well. We had 4 runs and 3 Q's. Our last run of the day, Jumpers, was fantastic. The video is pasted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7VNaXtl3w

It was great to finish the day on a positive note.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

What about the teeter scared him? The noise? The pivot point? Did he hit it too quickly? Maddie a couple of years ago was having a wonderful excellent standard run. She went into the chute and the material seperated from the barrel. She was wound up in it and I could not free her. It took myself, the judge and two bar setters to untangle her. When it happened I was internally freaking out. I was worried that she would break a leg due to panic. I went into acting as if she were being silly. "Oh Maddie are you hiding from me". "I'm gonna get you". She came out and shook it off and completed the rest of the course flawlessly. She has no lingering chute fears. This happened recently to Panda who is fearful of alot. I acted the same way. I have to say what went through my mind was "I will never get her in the chute again". She did it again without fear.

Miles seems so steady that I think he will bounce back as long as you do not act fearful of him being fearful. Hope that makes sense. You want him to keep his drive and increase his speed. You will need this as you move up to different classes and venues. When I train beginner classes I make the teeter, without the dog, bang and reward the dog. Pairing the sound with the reward=positive association. You may want to try this. Both my dogs had a slight fearfullness of the teeter. It passed quickly. It may just be part of his learning process.

Your run was nice. I am incredibly impressed that you were able to avoid all those columns and run the course. You should have gotten extra points. I would have knocked myself out cold

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't over-worry the teeter. You will be able to build up his confidence on it. I find a lot of time the owner/handler over-worries and causes much more problem for the dogs.
    Your jumpers run was nice. All I could think was... obstacle #2 would have been the end for Remington, LOL!

I can't imaging running inside a building like that. I'm sure I would run into those pillars, even though they are padded!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Agilitymom, you are so observant. Yes, Miles is a pretty steady and forgiving dog. I often recall my horseback riding days and how we'd put the new riders on the horses that would still canter straight even when their rider was flopping around on top of them and kicking them in odd places. The safe horses. Sometimes, I think my dog is like that. He seems to forgive and forget his novice handler's transgressions. He is NOT fearful dog for the most part.

What scared him was that he charged up it, I believe, thinking it was a dog walk. He didn't expect the movement. He's been doing pretty well with the teeter and I Queu it with the word "teeter" but Sunday, things were happening so fast and he got away from me. He didn't get hurt or anything like that. The good news is that we went to class last night and, while we didn't see the teeter, he had no concerns about the dogwalk. I wondered if he'd worry it was going to drop out from under his feet but he still has his usual love for the dog walk. My instructor is going to try to find a time when he can get the building to do a private with us to work on the teeter. My former instructor, who I worked with on rally, has a teeter and said I can come over her house and she will help us with the teeter. I thanked her, told her I can't afford to buy one. She said I don't need to because I have friends that have teeters. Dog poeple are great!

Those poles! That is an interesting place to trial because of those poles. They really limit the course designs too, I imagine. It is also long and narrow. It is extremely noisy. The club keeps hanging flags and is gradually adding fabric to the ceiling to reduce the echo. That is another thing that I have to adjust to there. Any voice queus have to be 3X louder there than anywhere else. The funny thing is, when we are running the course, we don't even see those poles!

Linda, I thought of Remington. There was a young lady that is a member of the club and she is raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and at the end of the day, they set up a course of all tunnels and we ran the course for a donation. I thought either Remington would be in 7th heaven, or he'd take 30 minutes to run that course with all those tunnels!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

LOL, he'd be in 7th Heaven AND take 30 minutes to run the course!!

LOL!! Of course! Why didn't I think of that, Linda?

Ann & Miles