I wish I could make a sound like a clicker...

Thread: I wish I could make a sound like a clicker...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultI wish I could make a sound like a clicker...

I've been trying! It's just not the same sound though. If only I could do it, I could have Remington working really well in the agility ring with my "clicks". He's been pretty awesome on weaves lately because I click them. He's become a clicker addict, he searches for ways to get a click out of me. Gotta luv him!

Remember my post about the 2 x 2 weaves and his slow drive. I stopped doing 2 x 2. I will admit that method helped tremendously in teaching Remington to find the entrance to the weaves, but it didn't do crap for speed. I switched to clicking him and he's doing really well, zooming right through them with healthy gusto (not border collie gusto, but pretty fast for a big ole lab).

Anyway, I'm anxious to see how he performs at the upcoming trials. Will it be the same old Remington and his ring antics, or will he really start to focus and perform? Time will tell...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's funny! I never really got into using the clicker because it was just too much for me to think about. I am such a "green" handler that it was all I could do to think abou the leash, the treats, what Miles was doing and what I was doing to add a little tool. Then I kept getting told I was using it incorrectly so I gave up on it. My clicks were never timed right!

Anyway, I used 2X2 to train weaves and I thought it worked beautifully. Now, I've only trained one dog to weave and that's how I did it, so I can't really compare to other methods. I don't know that 2X2 itself gave Miles drive with the weaves, but Miles is ball crazy. So, after a successful weave attempt, I threw the ball. That gave him drive. So, it sounds like, for Remington, it is the click. Well, you can't replicate a click sound, I can't bring a ball in the ring. I guess I figure by the time Miles figures out I am not going to throw a ball, we will be out of the ring and can be headed outside to throw a ball! Of course, we don't have border collie drive either. Never will. :-)

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

agilitymom is offline Senior Member

I paired my clicker with a word. I use "yes". Now I have phased out the clicker for the word and I can use the word in the ring and class.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I always felt like Ann about the clicker. The only thing I ever used it for was teaching dumbbells - and it did work really great for that!

I have used "yes" so much that it gets the same response from Angus as a click. I haven't started teaching weaves to either of them, though. I think I'm going to try to set some up this weekend.

When are you going to show Remington?

We have a trial next weekend, the 27 & 28. It's a USDAA trial. I'm not expecting anything. No Q's. I am hoping to have fun in the ring with him, not get frustrated, and try my best to keep his focus. He's a challenge.

After Magnum and Ruger who did everything I asked them to do, and then some. ... Remington is that special needs boy. It's a humbling experience to have a doofy big ole lug like him. But he's what I have and I can't get another dog at this time, so we'll just do what Remington can do and have fun along the way.

I honestly believe that not every dog is cut out to do all the stuff we want them to do. I honestly believe that some of the Border Collie/Aussie folks should have to have a dog like Remington

The word "yes" is not the same to Remington as the click.

Like Miles, Ruger is ball crazy and I got a lot of training done with him using the ball. Magnum was a pleaser, she just tried her very best to please me.
    Remington is not ball crazy. He's food focused and ADD challenged :P

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I honestly believe that some of the Border Collie/Aussie folks should have to have a dog like Remington
    HAHA! I hear ya. Or Angus.

Remington is not ball crazy. He's food focused and ADD challenged
    Again, HAHA! My mom and I always refer to Angus as the "special needs" ADD kid.

Good luck in the trial! I am positive you guys will do great. I love your goals for the trial, and am going to try hard to remember them for my next trial too.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Linda are you using the new wider weaves? Jake's speed went WAY up with that extra space and he stopped barking the whole time (kind of makes me wonder why he was barking earlier - pain? frustration? both?)

Hope you have fun at your competition - we have our first match Sunday *gulp*

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

No, my weaves are about 22". I've not gotten the 24" ones yet, and in USDAA they aren't using the 24" ones anyway, so I have to be able to do the narrow ones