Angus is too fast.

Thread: Angus is too fast.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus is too fast.

So, last night I took Angus to heeling class. We were practicing Recalls and the instructor asked me if I wanted to do a straight Recall, or a drop. I said drop, but there will be lots of traveling just so you know!

Anyway, went the full length of the ring and she gave the signal. I called Angus, and he was already about 3/4 of the way to me before I got the drop signal. By the time he heard it, he ended up dropped practically right in front of me. Ooof!

My instructor told me that I might want to mention to the judge that "He's coming fast" so they can be prepared to give the drop signal almost immediately after the recall signal. That's how I have to do it at home, too.

She said that he did travel some, but that she hadn't gotten the signal off for him to drop until he was past where she felt like he should have been...so, two things working against us!

I just wondered what you guys thought about all this. Would you tell the judge that the dog is going to be fast? I have been dropping him in front of one of the broad jump boards to try to get him to stop quickly, and he does pretty well, but when you take the board away he travels again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem of the not droping right away and a really fast dog. I gave up trying to teach it after about a year (tried everything). I started doing field work and taught a sit on whistle and a force to pile and both of those things together gave me what I needed. I could stop and sit her both on the way out and on the way in on the force to pile. Once she had a sit to whistle then the drop took about a week to train. Force to pile is like a go out with a pile of bumpers out there. Once you teach a dog to handle for field work with a dog a lot of obedience problems in the future are really easy to solve for current and future dogs.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Aw, that is fun. What a good boy running on home to mom!

I will never forget the first time in the ring with Ruger in Novice, on his recall he slammed into me so hard a fell out of the ring! LOL. We Q'd. The judge told the crowd it was the "exhuberance of youth!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Aw, that is fun. What a good boy running on home to mom!

I will never forget the first time in the ring with Ruger in Novice, on his recall he slammed into me so hard a fell out of the ring! LOL. We Q'd. The judge told the crowd it was the "exhuberance of youth!"
    HAHA! Ohhh, that is awesome! What a great judge!

debjen is offline Senior Member

On Riley's first recall in a ring he did kind of a big 'C' shape recall and ended up in perfect position..had the judge laughing but she said I have to give it to you as he came briskly if not straight..*G*.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    I just wondered what you guys thought about all this. . you tell the judge that the dog is going to be fast? I have been dropping him in front of one of the broad jump boards to try to get him to stop quickly, and he does pretty well, but when you take the board away he travels again.
    Good Lord no!! Work through the problem as it will only get worse. Have you tried a throw chain? Have you worked through a ground line? Have you worked through a throw can? Are verbal or signal commands better?
    Last edited by Belles mom; 02-19-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)