2 x 2 weave training begins....

Thread: 2 x 2 weave training begins....

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Default2 x 2 weave training begins....

I was so disappointed with Ruger's weaves on Sunday. He didn't get an entry once. Didn't even really try. And we've been working so hard at home and he's been nailing it...

So, today I started re-training weaves, doing the 2 x 2 method.

I started with Ruger. I must say by the end of our session he was joyfully going through the poles from a lot of different angles, consistently. I've not done wrap around angles yet, but will work throughout the week to see how far I can push him. I am only using the first two poles right now.

Then I did Remington. Can we say.... mentally challenged!!! I mean, I'm standing right in front of the poles, showing him what to do, telling him to go weave and he just bark bark bark bark, like a seal! I finally kinda pushed him through and marked it with a resounding "YES!" and tossed his ball. We tried this for about 10 minutes, to no avail. He really isn't the brightest boy, I'm sorry to admit.

Tomorrow I plan on using treats instead of the ball. I think we'll get a more motivated dog with treats. I hope so anyway!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Poor Remington! He just likes to have fun.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

brody is offline Senior Member

Thea does NOT get 2 x 2 - no way no how

Sally was started on 2 x2 and thinks it's great

Brody thinks it's ok .. it's sped up his entries - but he prefers a supported entry
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I need to look into the 2 X 2 weave thing... but I'm a little afraid to "mess" with things how they are now... Peanut was taught with guide wires and she ROCKS at weaves, by far her fave obstacle. But I keep hearing so many good things about the 2 X 2!

Would it speed them up overall, do you think? She's not super fast at weaves but she's very accurate, rarely misses any. Really the only time she does skip or miss is when she's trying to go faster.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Where 2x2 excells, IMO , is teaching the dog to get a rock solid, no-matter-what, correct entry. I think you could tweak an already solid weave performance by using elements of the 2x2's, namely 'working the clock' so the dog gets the correct entry from any position.

Just cuz i can never tire of watching Susan (yes, I'm a groupie) check out this wild entry from the FCI worlds last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I97topvBqvQ

I think if your dog is performing the weaves, I'd leave them alone.

Ruger won't get the entry at a trial, in Excellent that is a refusal and NQ. I think it's stress. Hoping the 2 x 2 will be more self motivating for him as he loves his ball and maybe once he figures out he can weave all by himself, I won't be there messing him up (I tend to get in his way too because I'm trying too hard to make him make the entry).

Remington... we'll see.

Kaytris, Yep, I marvelled at that entry! Way cool. It was a definite advertisement for her method!!!
    Last edited by 3TailsWaggin; 09-30-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I just ordered my weave poles and plan to start 2x2 training. We have been using channels at class and he likes them but as soon as he starts to close them, Miles runs past.

I am gonna try it. People seem to rave about it.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1