Open run through this week
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open run through this week

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpen run through this week

Here is the video from an Open run thru we went to on Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Z-V-vl_60

The DOR was probably one of his worst!

The thing with the retrieve over the jump, I would've sent him. The the "judge" asked if I wanted to re-throw. When I answered "no", Miles started to go. Since I didn't want him going, I then decided to start over.

One thing, the lady who taped (who has a UDX on her dog) suggested that when I line up for the high jump, I center myself instead of the dog. That way, we have a better shot at a straight front. We got one that time anyway, but it seems like a good suggestion.

Any suggestions or pointers for things I can be doing better?

Betsy, it was really nice meeting you and Shamrock!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I too tell my students to center themselves on the high jump vs the dog. The dog on the return normally centers himself and it does make it easier for the dog to make a correct front. The other suggestion I have is to do the left post first in the figure 8 .... less chance of a lag. I liked that Miles' tail was up and wagging showing that he did enjoy doing this.
    Last edited by lcspt; 02-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Ann - It was such fun to meet you and Miles. I think he's a terrific lab. Watching the video I saw that his tail is wagging the whole time - so much like Shamrock. I also saw that he had to check out the crowd on his about turn and figure eights - also so lab - might those people have food??? I think you have everything in place for an Open Q. I was pleased with Shamrock although we for sure would have NQ'd on the DOR. I really have to work on that. It was a nice relaxed atmosphere and fun to be able to talk to so many different people. I know the person with Zena the Dobe from Agility Trials - she is always fun to talk to and always helpful. I'll look to seeing you again on the 25th. Betsy
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

It looked great to me! I was especially interested in watching this since we haven't done a Show n Go for Open yet. It was good to see all the exercises in the order they will be performed in.

I like the suggestion of centering yourself on the jump. I'll remember that one!

One thing I noticed (and I only noticed because I get called out for it a lot...LOL) is that you seem to look back over your shoulder for him sometimes on the Figure Eight. There is one instructor at the club who is always yelling at me (good-naturedly) to "stop pushing him back!" She says when you look back and your left shoulder comes back as a result, it "pushes them back". She says instead, when I am going around the post turning to my right, my head and shoulder should be pointing right (away from them) to reduce lag. I have tried doing this, and it really does seem to help them come around faster.

But really, that's nitpicking! I'd be thrilled if we had the exercises as solid as you do!

LOL Betsy! OMG, you are so right with the checking out the crowd!! He's totally just checking real quick just in case. Never want to miss an opportunity to eat if there is one to be had! Initially, I was disappointed that I would not be able to come to the March 7 run through. That is why I decided to make it a point to go to these Thursday evening runs. I really liked this so much better! It is quieter and I was there for 2 hours rather than all day! I enjoyed myself. Yes, Zena's mom is a sweetie.

AngusFangus, you are so right, I should stop looking back at Miles. It's just, I want to know what he's up to ! Silly me. At the time, I thought he was about 6 feet away, now I see the video and I see he really wasn't that far back.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I know! It is THE HARDEST THING to stop! I continue to do it no matter how many times I get yelled at. LOL But just like you, when I see the video I realize they weren't as far back as I thought. Cindy keeps saying, "Trust your dog, he's back there - stop worrying!!" Simon tends to lag, so I've been working with him on moving really fast when circling to the right, and turning my head away, to get him to come around faster.

Cindy's dog is amazing. She has an Aussie who looks like she has been super-glued to her side. I am at a loss as to how she does this.

Miles look so much calmer than Angus! If that was one of his worst drops, I'd say you're in really good shape! Angus is still creeping forward a lot on his drops. He is not ready for Open yet. Maybe Simon will be by April.

My instructor keeps reminding me that it is HIS job to stay with me, not my job. Ah well! We'll keep working at it. He is a very calm dog. He can get fired up, especially at he sight of a squirrel, but for most part he's pretty mellow.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Milesmom; 02-15-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Ann & Miles

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

I just saw this thread! Ann you have a handsome lab!! holy moly!! Nice job, can't wait til i get out of novice and start this fun stuff!

Awww thanks Deanna! I know what you are saying. While they up the ante alot in Open, in some ways it is easier. All that healing is boring.

Ann & Miles

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ann, you need to work on your foot work in the about turns, that is where you are losing your dog. You are actually pivoting very quickly on your foot, and not giving your dog enough time to make the turn with you. Don't rush him in that turn, do your three step footwork. Practice it without your dog until you can do it in your sleep. I approach the about turn and step with my left foot in front of my right foot so that it makes a "T" (the toes of my right foot are pointing at the middle of my left foot by the arch), then I move my right foot to a "T" so that the heel of my right foot is now where the toes of my right foot were a second ago (in the middle of my left foot at the arch) then I take a small step up with my left foot to complete the turn and then move off.

I think you are spinning/pivoting so quickly on your about turns you are losing your dog.

Other than that, you guys look very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast