Telling Abbey "Ready"

Thread: Telling Abbey "Ready"

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultTelling Abbey "Ready"

We noticed something really interesting in class yesterday. Not sure where she learned it from and I'm not sure if I want her to do it or not.

But when she is in a sit stay and I am next to her about to send her off to a jump or contact, I will generally tell her "Ready" and then give her the command. When I first put her in a sit-stay, she looks at me when I'm next to her. The second I say "ready" she snaps her head back and focuses on the obstacle in front of her. Then when I give her the command to go, she's off. This only works if I don't wait more than ~1 second between the "ready" and the command.

Any thoughts on whether I should let her do this or not? It hasn't proven to be a problem yet, but I can see how it can potentially be a problem in certain circumstances.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Do you use "ready" in any other context? If not there should not be a problem. What word do you use to have Abby focus her attention on you?

It would be the same as telling a field dog to "mark" or whatever command you would use to send a dog on go-outs (I use "focus!") The head set (what you are describing) is an important part of many obedincce exercises (or at least the way I train ,I want a deliberate head set in Go-outs, Gloves, Articles, retrieving etc)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

yes ready is like what i use to mark in the field as well as obedience. Only difference is i use "mark".. orignial i know....

I think thats great that she looks out for what she needs to do when you say ready. once you say "Ready" she commits herself to what she needs to do and is not looking for you to get her through it(obstacle).
    Is Ready used only when you need her to look out. or do you use it for other things as well, like at home?
    I dont see why this would be a potential problem in the future though ??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

The only time I use the "ready" command outside of the agility ring is at home when we are practicing or retrieving. It's always followed by another command within about 1 second.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I use "ready" as a little command in obedience. The last thing the judge asks you is... are you ready? And I reply "Ready!" and this is an attention marker for my dog to look up at me and prepare to go. I think a lot of teams use it for a little extra punch when starting the heeling pattern.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I use "ready" as a little command in obedience. The last thing the judge asks you is... are you ready? And I reply "Ready!" and this is an attention marker for my dog to look up at me and prepare to go. I think a lot of teams use it for a little extra punch when starting the heeling pattern.
    ^ This.

It does sound a lot like marking to me, as seen in Utility with gloves and go-outs. I'm always amazed at how they get the dogs to do that.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

marking to me, as seen in Utility with gloves and go-outs
    Teaching "mark" was hard for Ruger. The hard part was making him STAY until I released him. I had to physically hold him back from launching himself as soon as I told him "mark".
    I am finding the same is true with Remington. I have to hold on to him right now until I see his eyes look at where I'm pointing, then I release him. He has gotten away from me a few times though. It takes a lot of practice to get this command down (well for me it takes a lot of practice, maybe others just do it right the first time?)

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Marking for agility can be real usefull in some starting situations. It is better if you train it and train a no comand if they lock onto the wrong first obstacle. One course I remember had a u shaped tunnel as the 1st obstacle followed by 3 jumps mostly in a straight line. I started by going out to jump 4 with amber and telling her to "Mark" the tunnel entrance. I sent her the 75 feet across the ring and then handled the next 3 jumps as a simple lead out. Also sometimes you can use it just to give your dog more space to build up speed before they trip the start timers. You can alos use it from the pause table if you teach the dog to stay even while marking.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca