Ten Opportunities for Open :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Opportunities for Open :)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTen Opportunities for Open :)

I was just reviewing the show schedule for this spring. Between now and July, there will be ten opportunities within an hour of our home for Simon to compete in Open.

I am excited and nervous about trying this. I wonder if he'll qualify in any of those ten shows? No way to know without trying, I guess.

Angus is improving a little too, so maybe there's hope for him yet as well. I need to measure him for that smaller dumbbell, Linda. I think maybe when I get that our problems there will be solved.

When training with them at home, Angus actually looks a little better on retrieves than Simon. Simon occasionally gets distracted. This is not good. If he's forgetting what he was supposed to be doing at home, that can't be good news when we get to a show. Angus, on the other hand, has a ton of drive about getting that dumbbell (surprise, right?). He is still mouthing a lot when he comes back, but I've been taking it from him a little more quickly and this seems to be helping. It's as though it is helping him realize I will not ask him to sit with it in his mouth forever.

Angus' drops are improving - less creeping. Simon's are soooo pretty, with his perfect little fold-back down.

Of the ten opportunities, four of them are at our club. It is tempting to try and show them both at our club, but I don't know. I found showing two dogs really stressful when we were doing Rally. And it would mean they would have to spend a lot of time in the crate. It seems (I think) to work better for them to have spent as little time as possible in the building. The longer they are there (especially Angus), the more apathetic and distractible they are.

Ohhh, so much to think about!

The other thing I really want to try is to get a VCD1 on at least one of them. My agility instructor has said she will help me with the agility titles and says we can do it in six months to a year, easy.

Eeeeee, I'm getting all nervous just talking about this!!!! I haven't showed either of them since last spring, when they got their CDs. I think it was April. So when we go back, it will have been almost a year. They had all those feet issues last year, plus neither of them was ready for Open or anything else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

You will do it no problem!! Are their feet all cleared up? It's amazing the number of dogs that I have seen at Doggie Day Care with those same kind of issues.

It took Kodi 5-6 tries in Open to get her CDX, but once she got it down she did very well. Go with your gut feeling on how to show the dogs. I have a tendency to do too much and end up very stressed. I showed last fall but am also really looking forward to getting the show season under way. My season starts the first weekend in April and I have to decide if I want to enter Kodi and Hoss in the same show. Since Kodi will be in Open and Utility (although I do not have to for the OTCH), Hoss will be in Novice so the days would be VERY long.

Best of luck to you and your crew!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

That is a long day Karen! I'm just not that good at long days, and they are even worse than me. But you are a pro and I'm sure will be great, whatever you decide to do!

Yes, their feet are BEE-YOOTIFUL again! I am just so happy that they are finally cleared up, and so hoping that is the end of that and we don't have a recurrence. I don't even think I realized how bummed out I had gotten about their feet until they were healed, you know what I mean? It is so nice seeing them look normal again.

The first opportunity we will have is March 12, but that's a Friday. So, I may or may not be able to make that one. The next one would be at the end of March, then the first of April would be the one at our club. I was thinking the first few he might not qualify, but it might be good warm-ups for the ones that are at our club, where hopefully he will be at his best.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds great! Keep us posted! Best of success!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    ... I was thinking the first few he might not qualify, ...
    NO NO NO!!!Think POSITIVE. HE WILL qualify...in the ribbons. Everyone will cheer for you and comment what a beautiful team you are!

Karen and the gang

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Connie, don't you need a tracking title for the VCD1 ?

Concerning open, I can tell you from experience you need to take Simon out to all kinds of different locations and work him on the exercises. I used to haul Ruger all over, to ball fields (while kids were playing too) to empty parking lots, even to our local police station where we practiced out on the grass as squad cars rolled in and out. The more you can do this, the better you will be in the ring.

Think positively!

OK Karen, you are right! I have to think positive and try not to defeat myself before I even walk in there! You are so sweet!

Linda, we DO need to do that. I have always needed to do that, but have been so lazy about it. But you're right, this would help generalize it so much. Ugh, it's just SO COLD outside right now!

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Linda, we DO need to do that. I have always needed to do that, but have been so lazy about it. But you're right, this would help generalize it so much. Ugh, it's just SO COLD outside right now!
    It is SOOOO hard to practice when it is cold! Do your kids do well in Petsmarts and places like that? Recently I have been doing very small pieces of exercises while on our daily walks (helps that they are off leash). I do DORs when calling them in from a poop. One or two ROF in the driveway on the way down to the pasture for their walk (with a bumper). One or two fronts or finishes during the walk, or a go-out to a fence post or tree. It actually helps them turn their focus on instantly, and when otherwise distracted by something else. They are released just as quickly. It is not ideal in that I can't do run thrus or anything like that, but it is a way to practice when you can not spend much time outside

Karen and the gang

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Excellent advice from Linda and Karen. It is the same advice I hear often. Like Karen, I often throw little skills into our day wherever we are. It doesn't have to be a designated training session to get some training in.

Positive thoughts Connie! We are with you, entering Open this spring and hoping to finish that CDX. I know my dog has the skills and if I keep my head together, he should be able to Q. Positive visualization for both of us, OK?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Karen, I like all those ideas. We do a little training here and there, too, but not nearly enough! Kevin is usually the one who walks them, but when I go too we do a lot of training on the walk.

I sometimes work some training into our bumper-fetching time.

It's a really good idea to go to PetsMart or somewhere else novel (and indoors!) to see how they do.

Ann, best of luck to you too this spring! Have you done Open before, or will this be your first time too?

I took Simon to class last night and we got a chance to practice the DOR. I was better at watching "the judge," which is something I needed a lot of work on. Simon "traveled" a little, but my instructor said he would only lose a few points and didn't seem to think it would be a huge infraction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast