Teaching Go-Outs

Thread: Teaching Go-Outs

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeaching Go-Outs

Well, I find heeling heeling heeling to be boring boring boring. So today I introduced Remington to Go-Out. He really enjoyed it. His face just lights up with anticipation. I am sending him to the fence (putting a bit of cheese on the railing) marking him and releasing him. He's so proud!

We may never get to Utility with him, but there is no reason why he can't learn the exercises anyway,right

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Hey anything that is fun with your dogs is great..doesn't have to be for a purpose...while competing and doing well with your dogs is satisfying I find just as much joy as just going out and working with the dogs and having fun.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Because heeling takes so long to work on I have been training Micah all the way through Utility. He's doing go-outs, articles, directed jumping, gloves, signals. Heeling is so foundational but can get a bit boring if that is all they're learning. So, with Micah I'm doing all the training before I even get him into the Novice ring.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Just teaching heeling would be boring for dog and handler! :-)! Yes, we've been doing the same thing via the guidance of my instructor. I don't think I realized we were doing that though at first. I read "The Other End of the Leash" and Patricia McConnell said to a dog the word "heel" means "Walk agonizingly slow next to my handler and ignore all things interesting". That made me laugh out loud because it seems that is so true! I keep our heeling work brief. If I get a good heeling pattern, we are done with that for the session! We've been working on go-outs for about a year and aren't anywhere close to utility! The lightbulb is finally starting to go on about them! Now gloves. He hates holding a glove. I insist he hold a glove in his mouth now to get his dinner. I keep adding a few seconds.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ObedienceLabs4Me View Post
    Because heeling takes so long to work on I have been training Micah all the way through Utility. He's doing go-outs, articles, directed jumping, gloves, signals. Heeling is so foundational but can get a bit boring if that is all they're learning. So, with Micah I'm doing all the training before I even get him into the Novice ring.
    I did the same thing with Kodi and she went from her Novice debut through Utility in 6 months! I will always work a dog this way now Belle, her mom I went through Novice before I started on the Open exercises...and we never did make it to Utility!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by debjen View Post
    Hey anything that is fun with your dogs is great..doesn't have to be for a purpose...while competing and doing well with your dogs is satisfying I find just as much joy as just going out and working with the dogs and having fun.
    +1000!

I have also heard of lots of people at our club training up through Utility before they even enter Novice. I think it's a wonderful idea! I would like to do that next time around.

Some nights I don't work on obedience at all with them. Those nights we just play silly games or learn goofy new tricks. A current favorite of the boys is "Behind." This is sort of like a right finish, but instead of coming up and sitting on your left, they pop their head out from in between my legs and look up at my face. It cracks me up every time (which is probably why it's their favorite). It is a move we learned in one of our Freestyle classes, which can then be expanded to walking forward or backwards between your legs (like between-the-legs heeling). Angus is very good at walking forward, and not too bad at walking backwards. Simon loves to pop his head out, but doesn't like to walk between my legs yet.

And yes, I do realize that this is going to come back and bite me in the ass in the ring one day when I ask for a finish and get a little head that pops out in between my legs. LOL! I have tried to make the hand signal very different for the two.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post

And yes, I do realize that this is going to come back and bite me in the ass in the ring one day when I ask for a finish and get a little head that pops out in between my legs. LOL! I have tried to make the hand signal very different for the two.
    So what?! If they are having fun in the ring I really don't care if they get a bit goofy. Just like with Caleb a couple weeks ago on the Utility moving stand when he about plopped on his back for a belly rub. We obviously nq'd but the attitude was outstanding!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org