Linda - question about Remiington

Thread: Linda - question about Remiington

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultLinda - question about Remiington

I was wondering if you picked him out from the litter, or if he was picked for you, with the breeder knowing what you were wanted in a dog. I know that many breeders prefer to know what you are interested in and pick the puppy that they think will be best for you. I'm still thinking from the "buyer" point of view, that I would at least like to see and interact with the puppies if possible. I was wondering if you got to "meet" Remington when he was a little puppy and if you felt you would bond with him, etc. Asking, because when it's that time for a new puppy for us, I want the best chance at getting a dog who would be better at competing than Emilu. I picked out Emilu, and even went and visited her several times while she was still at the breeders, and looking back, I can see several things that I missed about her personality (starting with the mom), or noticed , but didn't think it would matter. She was raised with 17 other puppies (2 litters together), and when I went to see her, she always had her head in the food bowl (hint number one that we might have a little problem keeping our weight down ) She wasn't overly friendly, and not that interested in me, but I noticed that she was friendly with the breeder so though she would bond with me when she lived with us. That said - she does love me in her quirky Emilu way - she's just so quirky! - and I love her to death - but it should would be easier to show her if she just wasn't' so "Emilu" like.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Actually, yes. I spent got to see Remington at 3 days old... and visited with him weekly until I brought him home. Breeder is a friend of mine. I didn't really get to "pick" him as I wanted a black male, and he was the only black male in the litter. My breeder held a yellow male for me as well until I was ready to take Remington home, but I wanted the black one, so that's how I got him.

I didn't get to pick Ruger (same breeder). She had three yellow males left from the litter, and they were keeping two of them, so I got the one they didn't want, but he's been a great dog, so I'm not complaining.

Remington is NOT like Ruger at all. My breeder changed her breeding program and started breeding with more speciality type labs. I feel she lost a lot of the drive behind them (she thinks so too, she likes Ruger's lines better). But it is what it is and I certainly won't get rid of him. I will just work with him and see how much potential we can pull out of him. If he never gets another title, that's okay, but we'll certainly give it a try.

Remington one week old.

Remington three weeks (we were bonding a bit.. he slept on me for about an hour that day)

Remington at four weeks.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Interesting conversation. A friend of mine has a chocolate lab that she aquired at 10 weeks. She got it from a family who got her at 7 weeks and found she was too much puppy for them. My friend hikes and runs with her dogs every day, to their lifestyle was more appropriate for this dog. Anyway, this breeder clearly didn't do an thorough interview with this couple when they sold her the puppy, but they told the breeder they wanted a dog for dock diving. Let me tell you, that girl can jump and fear is simply not in her arsenal of feelings. Whatever gland produces fear is missing in that dog. I always think about that because if there was a dog that could be trained to be a great dock jumper it is her. She has energy, drive and springs in her feet plus not one iota of fear about jumping off of ANYTHING! An experienced breeder can pick a dog for you. (of course, if a good breeder knew the husband works 12 hours a day and the wife really wasn't into the dog, they wouldn't have sold them a puppy like that)

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Yes, interesting. I have always made it a point to pick out my puppies. With Caleb I knew we were to be together from the first time I saw him but still drove to Wisconsin to see him and interact with him. Micah was the first puppy I ever got sight unseen, depending totally on the breeder's insight. But, with Dana, as with Deb, she competes in hunt tests, obedience, rally, agility as well as breed, so knew what I meant by wanting a dog with a lot of drive. And boy did I get it! He has more drive and is wilder than my field bred Lab. He certainly swings from the chandlers!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Both of my boys were picked for me, though I think Ollie picked me too. When I went to visit his litter at 6 weeks, he toddled over, climbed into my lap, made himself comfy and fell asleep. lol. I just *knew* with Ollie that I had to have him. Henry's breeder kept Henry and a black boy back and I didn't know which one I was going to get when I went to pick him up!

I marvel over how much Henry and I have accomplished, given the fact that I told his breeder that all I wanted was a good family pet. When I got him, I had absolutely no clue about competitive obedience or rally or field work, I just wanted a well-behaved boy. We started doing rally as "something to do" and it all went from there!!

With Ollie, I was very specifically looking for a dog with whom I could do competitive obedience and conformation with, as well as field work. Ollie certainly learns new concepts much quicker than Henry, but he's also very clever... if you know what I mean. He's way more apt to blow me off (Henry's flowerpot incident not withstanding lol), so I know that this is gonna be a great ride with him. lol. Henry, on the other hand, everything Henery does is to please Momma. Very different boys.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Felicia, your story with Henry is like mine with Miles. When I got Miles, I just wanted a pet dog that was going to be easy to live with. I knew nothing of competitive dog sports and started doing rally with Miles because I had read that it is good to excersize your dog's mind. The only thing I knew I would do with my dog is hike and run with him. Here we are 4 years later doing rally, obedience, and agility. We've accomplished so much! I am very lucky with this one. Everyone keeps telling me that I am in for a rude awakening with my next dog. LOL!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

interesting thread.

My breeder picked out apple for me as opposed to the other two that i had picked out from the litter. Apple and i have bonded much closer then i did with the other two. I wanted an out of control sweet dog and thats exactly what i got, to the T.
    We're like two little love bugs since the day i picked her up... When she started screaming all the way back home in her crate, i just knew!!!! lol.
    I think if the breeder makes the right choice for you and knows how to match the pup to what you want and need, then you'll get the pup of your dreams. For sure...

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

As with the others, when I got Belle (sight unseen) I had no idea that there was a competitive sport world out there for dogs. When a friend (who I now work for) introduced me to obedience and conformation I was immediately hooked and forever in teh poor house trying to afford classes, trials, dog equipement etc!!

When I bred Belle I had a good idea of where i wanted each pup to go. All of the litter was "sold" before Belle was even bred. Fortunately the owners trusted me to provide the correct dog for them. The only slight switch was between Hoss and Max, the pup I kept for a year for the owner because he could not take the pup right away (his wofe was dying of brain cancer and his old dog would not have adjusted well to a rowdy puppy). Originally, I would have taked Max and Sid would have gotten Hoss. As they grew I changed my mind as to who would go better with who. Since Sid never saw Max until he was about 9 months old, it really did not make a difference to him.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)