What method do you use to train your lab?

Thread: What method do you use to train your lab?

knfevg is offline Member

DefaultWhat method do you use to train your lab?

There are LOT's of training methods like:
    clicker or any other means without physically correcting the dog
    shock collars
    prong collars
    slip/choke collars
    others....

Which method do YOU use to train your lab for obedience?
    Evgeny & Niki

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

All of the methods you have listed work for various problems. I am open to all kinds of training techniques.

I trained all of my obedience dogs with the choke chain and "pop and release" methods along with clicker training for problems we encountered. I have found that my dogs all need physical correction to draw that line in their mind, to engrain in their brain what is correct and what is not. I find clicker training helps a dog to think for himself and learn faster as well. So you can see I use both of these methods. My physical corrections are not harsh, generally a leash pop and a stern "No". I don't hit or slap, but I will physically move a dog into position (if they break a down or a sit, I'll use my hands to put them back into position).

You forgot FOOD. I find food really motivates my labs and I use that method the most

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    All of the methods you have listed work for various problems. I am open to all kinds of training techniques.

I trained all of my obedience dogs with the choke chain and "pop and release" methods along with clicker training for problems we encountered. I have found that my dogs all need physical correction to draw that line in their mind, to engrain in their brain what is correct and what is not. I find clicker training helps a dog to think for himself and learn faster as well. So you can see I use both of these methods. My physical corrections are not harsh, generally a leash pop and a stern "No". I don't hit or slap, but I will physically move a dog into position (if they break a down or a sit, I'll use my hands to put them back into position).

You forgot FOOD. I find food really motivates my labs and I use that method the most
    Same here, only I use a prong instead of a slip/choke chain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I've used a chain collar, a prong collar, some clicker training, lots of treats, - the type of collar is not really a training method - it's a tool to use with your training method. I use mostly all "positive" stuff, but a well placed "correction" works wonders sometimes. It really depends on your dog and the circomstance.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Oh wow, like Linda, I have used a variety of tools for different reasons. Occasionally, I put a prong collar on when having to leash walk in places where I think pulling will be an issue. That isn't often, but it has its place. I have never used a shock collar. I have used a clicker but that hasn't worked so well for me because I have trouble handling leash, clicker, and treats.

I have consistently used treats as a reward to shape the behavior I want, and a ball as a reward or "party" for job well done. For us, the treats and the ball were probably the best tools. Positive reinforcement to shape the desired behavior would be the method I used.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

knfevg is offline Member

Ok. I asked to see if "I'm doing it right".
    I use a choke collar (actually a similar thing: http://leerburg.com/746.htm) on training and on EVERY walk. As Niki is a puller, I use this collar to teach him not to pull.
    On trainings he gets a treat when he does something right. If he doesn't do it immediately, he gets punished (either a quick tug on the collar or a strong pull) until he performs.
    Didn't try clicker yet... how is it?
    Evgeny & Niki

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post

Ditto all this. But I have not used a shock type collar and probably ONLY because I don't own one ;o)
    Kim

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

either a quick tug on the collar or a strong pull
    I wouldn't use a strong pull as it's really not a correction, it's more like pitting your strength against the dog. Learn how to do a quick leash pop correctly. Using the choke collar it is a very fast snap of the leash and release. The collar itself makes a bit of noise and I think this is what gets most dogs attention, not actually the pressure of the collar. Be sure to reward your dog for the change in his attitude/position as soon as you release.

For example, if I am heeling and my dog begins to lag or looks away from me I quickly pop the leash, as soon as the dog looks at me and gets back into heel position I say, "YES! good boy" Sometimes I will use my clicker for this to mark the behavior.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Linda says. Make sure to keep you tone and demeaner positive and happy.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Depends on the dog and the situation. I have used all the mentioned except for the e-collar
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org