Sue Alexander Seminar

Thread: Sue Alexander Seminar

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSue Alexander Seminar

Going to a seminar this evening. I am kind of excited about it. I was lucky enough to get one of 6 working spots. It is intended for dogs and handlers getting ready for novice, but even though we have our CD and getting ready for open, I still feel like a novice and think we can benefit. The focus is:

To put together and proof the novice obedience routine, in preparation for the competitive ring. Get away from treats quickly, efficiently and effectively. Take accurate work and add enthusiasm without negative reinforcement or positive punishment. Two hours of information, practical options and tips to improve any obedience score.

Sue Alexander is from Canada and trains service dogs and works with reactive dogs but also helps people get ready for competition. I am always eager to learn a new perspective.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

That sounds reallly great - let us know how to wean from treats effectively please

I am not sure it is possible with a lab but I will let you know what I find out!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Let us know how it goes! I've met Sue at seminars up here, she's a talented and experienced trainer

debjen is offline Senior Member

Have fun..sounds like a good seminar

It was definitely a fun seminar. Sue has a ton of energy. She is in town giving a three day "good dog seminar" that I was unable to attend. They talked her in to adding this two hour seminar focused on helping handlers get ready for AKC novice.

The focus of the two hours was prepping for AKC obedience. Her method is to backchain the exersizes so the dog learns to the the next exersize as the reward for doing the last one. These rewards lead to the big reward which is getting their leash back on and running to their crate for food. This is an interesting concept, I can use to help my dog understand that he just because he isn't getting a snack between each excersize, doesn't mean he did a bad job and hopefully stay motivated for the 5 minutes he is in the ring. Before I do this, he has to fully understand each excersize.

It was certainly fun and I did pick up a few things.

Ann & Miles