Open with Simon: Are we ready to try?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open with Simon: Are we ready to try?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultOpen with Simon: Are we ready to try?

I'm thinking about competing (well, trying to compete) in Open with Simon.

We have a show at our club in April. Three days.

He is decent at everything, but we haven't done a lot of it at the club, and we have never done a Show n Go. We have one tomorrow at our club I was thinking about taking him to.

We tried the Drop on Recall in class the other night. He was good. I sucked. I missed the signal to drop the first time, and I totally forgot to drop him the second time. When I remembered to ask, he did drop. The class had fun laughing at me.

Mom needs the practice more than Simon does...

He's alright on dumbbells...a little bit of mouthing, but nothing ridiculous. I say this in comparison to Angus, who does the most ridiculous, exaggerated display of mouthing you have ever seen in your life when he sits with the dumbbell. It's extremely comical.

When Simon comes in with the dumbbell, sometimes he doesn't sit super close. I can reach him, but he's not right in front of my feet.

Heeling and Figure Eight Simon can do. Out of sight stays, usually good on those too. Broad jump...he might cut the corner a little bit, but he will do it. Occasionally he hesitates and doesn't do it on the first command, but I think I can fix that between now and then.

What do you think? Does it sound like we're ready to try it? I am pretty intimidated by this, as it doesn't seem like a very high percentage of people qualify. Why is this? Is the judging that much more rigid than Novice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are ready to give it a go.

Ruger always mouthed his dumbbell too, more so in practice than at a trial. We never got marked off that much for it so I never worried about it.

Open is called "the heartbreak class" because not many do qualify. Yes, it is harder than novice, your dog has to do a lot of thinking on his own out there. Ruger got legs one and two in a back to back trial (sat and sun). I thought it would be a breeze. Then it all fell apart and it took me, I believe, 17 shows to get that last leg. He simply stopped doing the figure 8. He's start around the first circle, step to the side as politely as you please, and watch me do it with a big grin on his face. It took me a long long time to get that fixed, and I had to do it with double commands (yes, you can double command... but you lose points doing it).

patm is offline Senior Member

Yep! Sounds like you're ready to me too. It also sounds like you both just need to get some more practice in so you don't have to "think" about it too much, cuz when you're in the ring you're going to be nervous and have more chance of forgetting to do something. And even if you screw up - it's still just another dog show. Your dog doen'st know Novice, from Open, from Utility - it's just something they do with you out there. Emilu NQ'd the 4 times we tried Open - just started freezing in the ring. We took last year off conpletely (didn't want her to keep repeating the same thing) and concentrated on working toward our RAE (one more show to go!). I wanted her to get more ring experience and work on keeping her happy in the ring, then we needed to work on the open exercises so she knew them really well and when she gets nervous, still knows what she is supposed to do. Now with this "jackpot" thing working pretty well, I have renewed hope that we might finally "Q" this year in Open.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    Sounds like you are ready to give it a go.

Ruger always mouthed his dumbbell too, more so in practice than at a trial. We never got marked off that much for it so I never worried about it.

Open is called "the heartbreak class" because not many do qualify. Yes, it is harder than novice, your dog has to do a lot of thinking on his own out there. Ruger got legs one and two in a back to back trial (sat and sun). I thought it would be a breeze. Then it all fell apart and it took me, I believe, 17 shows to get that last leg. He simply stopped doing the figure 8. He's start around the first circle, step to the side as politely as you please, and watch me do it with a big grin on his face. It took me a long long time to get that fixed, and I had to do it with double commands (yes, you can double command... but you lose points doing it).
    You always make me feel better. It was you who got me through the heartbreak of the CGC like this.

I know a girl at the club who is trying to get her last leg, and she says it is indeed very elusive.

At least it *seems* like Simon is doing OK with some of the stuff that I think usually gives people trouble, like the out of sight stays and the drop on recall. He's gorgeous on these at home...BUT we haven't taken the show on the road much yet. Anything could happen.

I am counting on him for being the "get the job done" guy I have come to think of him as.

Pat, I didn't know you were doing the RAE!! Wow, kudos to you! You are so close now, too! I think you were very smart to take a break and do something else. I bet it pays off!

I've thought about RAE, but wow, ten shows just seemed like so much! But that might be what I end up doing with Angus. I just don't know if I see Open for him. He is still creeping forward on the drop on recall, and the mouthing...I have GOT to take a video of that to show you guys. It is really too bad that I am not smart enough to figure out how to fix these things, because he is just so pretty in the ring.

RE: the mouthing. Get a different DB for him. Susan (Caleb's mom) was having this issue and she got a very small DB, it is so small it just fits in her dog's mouth so he has no way to roll it back in his mouth to mouth it. He has to pick it up and hold it with his front teeth. Just a thought. Try a smaller DB.

RAE is a money maker for AKC Ruger needs three more legs to get his. That's all I'm doing obedience-wise with him. We gave up on Futility. Got one leg, and then threw in the towel. If I could get to more shows, I probably would still be working at it, but I can't and I can't waste the money either. You have to choose your priorities

LOL, I sometimes forget about my CGC adventures with Ruger. He had his CD before he ever got that darned CGC. He just would not do "sit politely for petting" I think on the 10th try we got it

ten shows just seemed like so much
    LOL... if you think 10 shows seems like too much, maybe you AREN'T ready for Open.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

My advice would be to give it a try but between now and April try to get to some run throughs. Really work on those exercizes so you feel some level of confidence with them.

We have one Open leg. I don't know if it was the judge or if it is typical with Open. We ARE in the "A" class. There was no briefing and this judge was "no nonsense". By the time I got to the start line for the heeling pattern, I was a nervous wreck and Miles checked out. I am sure he thought we were on our way to something awful. He did come back and do the retrieves and broad jump beautifully. Our figure 8's always s#@k. We Q'd but because if MY NERVES, it took be a few events to make him feel happy about the ring again.

We are going to try to finish the CDX this spring, but I really want to make sure I don't get that bad again.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Those stern, old-school judges are uber-intimidating! I look at their registration numbers before I register, and if it's really low, I will think twice about sign signing up. That is another thing I'm worried about, that there will be no more Mr. Nice Judge in Open. My nerves really do a number on me too. Angus reacts by getting extremely silly, but Simon shuts down and thinks he's in trouble. I have to really watch it with him.

Linda, I LOVE that idea about the smaller dumbbell!!! Brilliant! Doing it.

LOL... if you think 10 shows seems like too much, maybe you AREN'T ready for Open.
    HAHAHA! Good point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast