Spay and Neuter of Mixed Breeds in AKC

Thread: Spay and Neuter of Mixed Breeds in AKC

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpay and Neuter of Mixed Breeds in AKC

I originally thought that AKC would require that Mixed Breeds would have to be spayed /neutered to compete. I read the mixed breed application form and you must agree that your MB is spayed/neutered or if a puppy you intend to spay neuter following your vets recomendation.
    This means if you have a vet that doesn't recomend spay neuter unless for medical reasons then you never have to spay/neuter. They worded it statement as they did so that people would be able to spay/neuter after the pups reach maturity but they left it wide open.
    I am sure most people will s/n their mixes but their could be a few such as the doodle mixes that might want to keep their breeding stock intact.
    Anyone interested in buying Labradoodle pups from dual champion parents??(an OTCh and a MACH)

AKC did rush this thru.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Well,the AKC probably doesn't want to have to police it. So they have the owner say the dog has been or will be s/n and leave it at that. The owner has to lie to do what you suggest. I guess there are those who would, sadly.

I compete often in APDT, C-WAGS, and CPE. All three allow mixed breed dogs and none have a spay or neuter requirement for any dogs mixed or purebred. APDT does offer a $10 discount on registration if you provide documentation that you have s/n your dog, but there is no restriction. I do not believe USDAA requires it either. Most of the people I meet competing are very responsible dog owners and would do so anyway.

BTW, I can't stand the "doodle" dogs. If you don't want shedding, and you want a big athletic dog, why not get a Standard Poodle or a water dog?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

nicole is offline Senior Member

IMO, the way they're doing it is ridiculous (but I'm not a fan of the program at all either ). For the current ILP/PAL, the dog has to be altered, there's no reason the mix breeds shouldn't be the same. You can compete in anything until the dog's 6mo anyway and if the owner wants to wait to alter, they can wait to compete. If it doesn't change, you'll see exactly what those of us don't want.... doodle puppies from titled parents. It'll just confuse the already confused public more

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I honestly don't think it's going to make a huge impact either way.

The impulse buyers that hit the petstores and puppy mills and backyard breeders and pay outrageous prices for doodles aren't those that are going to start trialling their puppies in agility or obedience. Ten years ago they were buying badly bred purebreds from the same sources.

Those that are looking for titled parents are the ones who also look at health and temperament testing.. two vastly different markets.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I don't want to be a cynic, and maybe this is just because of where I live, but I rarely run into a legitimately "confused" member of the population. If they actually care, they do the research and get a dog/breed from a good source that is well suited to them. If they do go a different route, 9 times out of 10 it is because they really just don't care where the dog came from. They wanted breed X and they got it - the wordly implications are not on their radar. I suppose if the dog turns out to be a diseased mental case, they might think twice before going that route again but honestly I haven't met many BYB dogs that would fall into that category.

****my definition of BYB is limited to people breeding their housepets on a rare occasion and have people interested in the puppies. People with multiples who are breeding every heat cycle etc. are in the puppy mill category.

Of course, the public may also just be a little disillusioned when the conformation/hobby breeder camp does not always walk the walk. Just to be clear I am not saying that about the posters in this thread - just referencing the fact that I recently ran across a conformation breeder who used an underaged dog in what I consider to be a BYB breeding.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Actually I don't see it as a lie if you agree to spay or neuter your dog when your vet recomends it. It would only be a lie if your vet recomends it and you don't do it. Some vets only recomend spay/neuter in cases of cancer etc.
    It is very badly worded in the application/contract statement for mixed breeds. I am sure that most owners will follow the intent and get their dog S/N. However I could see some of the Doodle and other designer breeders/owners following the exact letter of the application/contract.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca