Emilu and I took a new training class today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emilu and I took a new training class today

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultEmilu and I took a new training class today

We have been going to the same training club for almost 4 years now, and I am a member. It is 1 hour and 40 minutes away. There is a training club that is only 1hour 15 min away, but they only have 2 sets of 8 week classes a year. You can pay by the class, and today Emilu and I went to one. I was so nervous before we went! I was afraid Emilu would freak out with all the strange dogs working in close proximity to her and she would do her usual "freeze in the ring" act, or worse yet, get into a squirmish. I was afraid that I would be told once again that she is too fat. I was afraid that they would wonder what in the world I why I had her in training class for Open. None of this happened There were probably about 15 dogs in our class (an advanced beginners class was right beside us), and the first thing the trainer did was to tell us "no leashes and NO TREATS in the ring - these dogs need to learn that there are no treats in the ring" We were to leave the treats on the side of the ring, and encouraged to run out dogs out to give them one fairly often after doing something. Well -Emilu really caught onto this and loved it! The class was a little like controlled chaos - just the thing that would normally make her VERY nervous, but she really did pretty well - I was very happy with her. We need to really work on "marking" the dumbell and making her wait before she goes and gets it, because if she waits too long, she forgets that it is even out there. We were both exhausted at the end of the class because we covered alot of stuff in one hour and spent alot of time running to the side of the ring for treats - but she really did well without them in the ring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great class Pat. I'm glad all went well

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds like fun Pat! Where did you end up going? Did you see my question to you in another thread?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I didn't see your question - sorry. The Parkersburg Trial should be Sept 18th and 19th, and I am pretty sure that we are having 2 shows on Saturday again.

I went to the Kanawha Training Club classes, held at the Dunbar Parks and Recreation Center in WV. We've been to a couple of shows there - not the greatest show site, but a good place for classes.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's wonderful Pat!

That running out of the ring to get a treat sounds like a method I learned from a seminar I went to last year. The idea was, after they perform, they run to their crate for a jackpot! I have found that I am getting more motivation in the ring with that.

I am glad the new class went well!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I didn't see your question - sorry. The Parkersburg Trial should be Sept 18th and 19th, and I am pretty sure that we are having 2 shows on Saturday again.

I went to the Kanawha Training Club classes, held at the Dunbar Parks and Recreation Center in WV. We've been to a couple of shows there - not the greatest show site, but a good place for classes.
    Thanks! I'll let her know.

I was at Kanawha's trial last year. Nice group of people!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Huh! I think I like this idea of running out of the ring to give treats. Very interesting!

The very biggest problem I have with Angus is that I am lacking treats in the ring, and he knows it. If I had a treat in there, there would be no stopping him. Seriously. If I have treats, he could do a tight figure eight around two angry bobcats who were eating grilled cheese sandwiches and repeating the word "cookie cookie cookie," and he would not even notice. I so wish there was some way I could have that kind of focus without the treats. He CAN focus. He just doesn't without the treats. Maybe this would be a way.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Seriously. If I have treats, he could do a tight figure eight around two angry bobcats who were eating grilled cheese sandwiches and repeating the word "cookie cookie cookie," and he would not even notice.
    Connie, you REALLY need to write a book. You have a gift for prose

I think If I let Remington run out of the ring to get treats, that would be all she wrote. He'd never stay in the ring with me!

Connnie, I know what you mean! Emilu can be SO FOCUSED if she knows that a treat is available. I was never quite sure that this jackpot thing would work with her either, but so far she seems to be responding to it really well. I went to our regular class last night and "hid" little treats around the sides of the building and every so often I'd say "let's go get your treats" and run over to them - she lOVED it! It actually has her paying more attention to me and she actually is faster in the ring than before. (Emilu is a natorious "walker" in the ring). I am more hopeful about us Qing in Open this year.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I went to a seminar with Sue Alexander where she explained a technique called "backchaining" for preparing for Novice Obed.

First of all she did remind us of the rules for Obed and where they say the front and heel position are. We tend to raise the bar above what is required. While it is pretty, the dog is not required to prance at our side with his head up. He just has to be at our side. Front, just needs to be in front and straight. Close enough to touch his nose. He doesn't have to be toe to toe with his head craned back looking up. If you are having bigger challenges, there is no need to "nag" about some of this stuff.

Then she said when training start with the call front. Pick a finish for that that you will only use for that. (left or right). After that exersize run to your crate and have a party. Next time, start with off leash heeling. Then go to the call front and after that finish go have your party. Next time, start with the stand for exam, then do off leash, etc.etc. etc. Of course, be exciting and animated between exersizes. You are allowed to be! This is supposed to be fun.

What the dog learns then, eventually, is that the reward is the next exersize that gets them closer to that final finish and "the party" back at the crate.

While this isn't practical for me to use in dog class, I can do some of these things at home. I do carry a toy around in class with me to keep things fun there. What I have applied is that whenever we go in the ring at a show, no matter what venue or sport, we always run from the ring and go have a party and that usually involves snacks and chasing a tennis ball. I don't stop and yak with my friends and talk about the run or theirs or anything until after Miles and I have had our little party. While we may look ridiculous, let's face it, something has to be in this for our dogs. They go in that ring and work for us, they deserve the reward of our undivided attention and play immediately after exiting the ring. If we wait 10 minutes to do so, they won't connect the two. I have found that he is much happier about going in the ring and more animated since I started doing that. Maybe he is starting to connect being in the ring with a chance to chase a tennis ball . Honestly, that's all he cares about (that and food).

Great topic!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast