AKC Takes A NEW Stance On Mixed Breed Dogs

Thread: AKC Takes A NEW Stance On Mixed Breed Dogs

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultAKC Takes A NEW Stance On Mixed Breed Dogs

just fyi

Dear Trial Secretary,

We are pleased to inform you of a decision made by the AKC Board at the January 11, 2010 meeting, which will enhance the AKC Canine Partners program. This exciting new program allows mixed breed dog owners to list their dogs and participate in AKC Agility, Obedience and Rally events starting April 1, 2010.

While each club's participation in the AKC Canine Partners program will remain voluntary, clubs may now choose to allow mixed breed participation at any AKC Agility, Obedience or Rally event. Mixed breeds will compete in the same classes and earn the same titles as their purebred counterparts.

This decision was made following a lengthy discussion and review of feedback from enrollees, delegates, clubs, show and trial chairpersons, current purebred exhibitors and potential mixed-breed exhibitors, prompting a reevaluation of the current program. AKC staff took into consideration the prior feedback received from the AKC Delegate body about the program and contacted each individual member of the AKC Delegates Committee for Obedience, Tracking and Agility and others regarding this feedback.

New changes, effective April 1, include:

1. Mixed breed dogs will be permitted to compete in the same companion event classes with purebred dogs. Competition will be head to head for the same titles and awards.
    * This change involves - Obedience, Rally and Agility
    * This eliminates all previously published mixed breed classes - mixed breed novice a or b etc.
    2. At the option of an event-giving club, mixed breed dogs can participate at any event open to all-breed obedience, rally, or agility offered by the club.
    * Please remember that mixed breed dogs must meet the eligibility requirements to enter an AKC event.
    3. If your club has applied to have mixed breed dogs in your competition prior to this notice, you will need:
    * To contact your event operations representative at [email protected] or 919-816-3579 to make changes complying with the new regulation changes regarding classes, judges, and other information.
    * Please contact your event operations representative immediately if your premium list is already released.

This positive step forward for AKC and dog owners enables us to share our passion for dogs and our commitment to responsible dog ownership with an even greater audience. It will simplify the planning and management of club events, while benefiting mixed breed dog owners by giving them more opportunities to participate in events in their local areas.

Please contact AKC Canine Partners if you have any questions or comments you would like to share.

Email - [email protected]
    Penny Leigh - 919-816-3749
    Sydney Suwannarat - 919-816-3521

Sincerely,

John Lyons
    Chief Operating Officer
    American Kennel Club

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

This is interesting. If I am interpreting that correctly, it will be up to individual clubs to decide if they want to open their even to mixed breed dogs or keep it limited to pure bred dogs. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will we start seeing this on premium lists? Pure bred only or Open to all dogs? It will be interesting to notice which clubs open their trials to mixed breeds and which don't.

I am not sure where I stand on this. I believe that ALL dogs deserve to have a job and that people that rescue or own a mixed breed should be able to compete. In fact, I compete in alternative venues more often than AKC. I love the fact they don't exclude. However, I always felt that one of AKC's roles was to preserve the breeds, and given that role, I felt the exclusion was appropriate. Without it, I can welcome my friends to AKC competition who feel rescuing is the right way to get a dog and I am glad for that.

I also worry that when those first few competitors enter an AKC trial with a mixed breed dog they may not be welcomed with open arms by some and that will give a bad impression. I have heard some awful stories. I guess there are rude people everywhere and eventually they will get over it.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Coyote is offline Junior Member

I have found that AKC people can be rude. I have a lab rescue that has a curl in her tail and a friend of mine has a malimute rescue. Comments are made frequently about the quality of the dogs. We are not showing in breed so why is this necessary?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Coyote, I also have a lab that has a curled tail. I have shown her in AKC Obedience, Rally and Agility. Nobody ever said anything rude to us, ever. I guess a lot depends on the area you live/show in.

Yes, breed ring people have been rude to me.. but never at obedience or agility trials.

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm not quite sure how I feel about it either. On one hand, I think everyone who wants to train and compete with their dog should be congratulated and encouraged. I just like watching dogs compete with their owners - a nice performance is a nice performance. But I also support the breeding of purebred dogs, and AKC is supposed to support the purebred dog and their owners. And right now , breeders of purebred dogs need all the support they can get.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with you Pat! There is no much dog legislation all over the country that will hurt responsible breeders and dog owners, not those that already operate under the law. Breeders and purebred dogs do need the support of the AKC.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I am not sure how I feel either. How will we feel if a Labradoodle is the NOC of 2010 ? Will competitive bedience people seek out other labradoodles? This is just an example.
    They have said that 5 mixes will be in the the agility and obedience invitational. I realize it is a long shot that one would win but still..
    There might be alot of prestige (and sales) that come with having breed the agility invitational winning Border-Jack.
    At the same time I like to see all dogs run agility and do obedience and rally, I don't want them in Tracking yet because I am selfish and don't want anymore dogs competing for the few tracking spots available in tests. lol

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

IdahoLabs is offline Senior Member

Interesting. How does the ILP program fit into this?
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UD GO VER RE CGC TDI ASCA-CD (7/10 UDX, 186/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts + UB/OB wins)
    Zen UD VER GO JH
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Tara (future amazingness!)
    www.clairedvm.com

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

ILP/PAL program remains the same.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca