Hmm, an Agility thought...

Thread: Hmm, an Agility thought...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHmm, an Agility thought...

It would be nice if AKC would have a senior division, for dogs that are seniors and have slowed down but still like to compete.

Might be a money maker for AKC as well.

I usually take all my dogs to trials with me. Would probably show them in a seniors/veterans class just to run with them for fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

They do it is called Prefered and lowers the jump heights by 4 inches and gives the dogs 5 extra seconds to run the course. It is open to any dog regargless of age so great for dogs recovering from injury or pups just starting out or working with problem dogs or just a place for older dogs etc..

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

I'm sorry, but preferred is NOT exclusive for senior dogs. Please. I compete in preferred, as a lot of people do, because my dogs aren't built for all out agility (not the best hips, too big boned to be doing the sport at full height, etc.)

I'm talking a real veterans class here

Actually, I would love to see them break down the classes for human division too. There is no way I can keep up with the younger athletes out there these day. In fact, a lot of us old farts joke about it and say they definitely need an over 50's division

I suppose I could get a small dog that I could actually run with too
    Last edited by 3TailsWaggin; 01-13-2010 at 05:34 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

CPE has a Veterans division. You probably already knew that.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

So what would you want for a vetran division? We cant go down any lower on jump height, because the 8 inch dogs are jumping 4 inch in prefered so the next step would be 0 inch for them and most jumps have cross bars on the bottom. If it is just a time thing in prefered you have 5 extra seconds and then another 20 seconds before the over time buzzer goes off. So thats 25 seconds more than standard course time before the judge asks you to leave the course. I know alot of people with old dogs that just want to run with them for fun do this. The dogs do not care if they make course time they are just having fun. Now people need ribbons and titles so I guess we could create a special class for the people to get ribbons and titles.
    Now if it is your ability to run that is the problem then just do not run with the dog. I have seen a couple of people that just could not move for different reasons and they handle the entire course from the middle. It saves the knees (no front or rear crosses) but does require more/different training. There does come a time in every dogs life when they should retire from agility because it just hurts them too much, and that is a very very sad day. At least there are no rules about judges having to excuse handlers if they are lame..lol or I wouldn't be able to run my dog.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

debjen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I suppose I could get a small dog that I could actually run with too

ummmmmmm my Cavs are much faster than Riley ever was..I could keep up and pass Riley..LOL..I can not keep up with the cavs (of course I'm not particularly athletic either)..

Kelly you are way to serious my dear. This thread was/is tongue-in-cheek