Kinda Happy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda Happy

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultKinda Happy

I started working with Remington for obedience. My goal is to get his CD sometime around his 5 year birthday. Lofty goal, heh, LOL! Seriously, he needs time to grow some focus, and I don't know if he'll ever get there.

But... today we did doodle patterns, recalls, sits and downs, and he really had a good time! We are learning that heel is a position not an action (I set him up by leaving him and going off across the field and calling "heel" to him and making him find heel position again.. from all different angles).

Must say he did great today. The only problem area came with the down stay when I stood over him, he does NOT like that, but too bad.... he'll have to just work harder to not move

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3TailsWaggin View Post
    I started working with Remington for obedience. My goal is to get his CD sometime around his 5 year birthday. Lofty goal, heh, LOL! Seriously, he needs time to grow some focus, and I don't know if he'll ever get there...
    Oh, you just made me feel so much better! Caleb is 3 1/2 and the closest we've come to trials is the sanctioned match we're entered in at the end of the month.

...We are learning that heel is a position not an action (I set him up by leaving him and going off across the field and calling "heel" to him and making him find heel position again.. from all different angles)...
    Oh, what a great idea!

...Must say he did great today. The only problem area came with the down stay when I stood over him, he does NOT like that, but too bad.... he'll have to just work harder to not move
    So I'm not the only one who steps over their dogs when they're in a down? I started teaching it because my first Lab used to bounce up to get out of the way as soon as you had one foot over him.

Yep, I step over mine One reason why is... I've been in lineups that were really really close, and I noticed that a lot of dogs didn't like it when people returned to their dogs, I saw more than one dog get up when someone approached on their off side. So I figured I better make sure mine stayed put no matter where people's feet were

When teaching the "heel is a position" I keep walking, and I'll just leave Remington (as I walk I wave my hand in front of him and tell him "wait" -- almost like a moving stand for exam) and I continue walking away and call him to "heel" randomly. The dogs really enjoy this game and it really helps solidify where heel is for them.

BTW, Remington does have his RN and RA, but we stopped after that. The legs he got for his RA were simply deplorable. Had I been judge, I never would have Q'd him. We will eventually get back in the Rally ring too... but we need a lot more focus and heel work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Question

Hmmm. Interesting that you are talking about the long sits and downs. So what if the dog in the long down next to you (to your right) was handled by a person in a power wheelchair? How would your dog react to that and how would you feel about it? Those chairs are not the same as manual chairs and are too expensive to have one on hand for the purpose of proofing.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

...When teaching the "heel is a position" I keep walking, and I'll just leave Remington (as I walk I wave my hand in front of him and tell him "wait" -- almost like a moving stand for exam) and I continue walking away and call him to "heel" randomly. The dogs really enjoy this game and it really helps solidify where heel is for them...
    We've done something similar, but on lead. We called it "sit and walk"- just what it says- while heelling, sit the dog, walk to the end of the leash,then start walking as you call the dog to heel. I guess you'd call it the beginning steps of what you do.

Ann, I have never encountered a wheelchair in formal obedience. Not to say that it wouldn't happen, but it's not something I train for as the odds are pretty much against that happening.

I have encountered a power wheel chair in Rally. A few years back a gal in our area showed her dog in Rally (she was in the chair) but she has not gone into the obedience ring.

If I were in a position where the chair was there... I'd just roll with it, and if my dog failed, well we would try again at the next trial. Can't fault the person in the chair, and like I said, it's not something I'd train for anyway (unless I KNEW there was someone in our club in a chair...)

My thoughts on that would be that the judge would have to make some kind of call for positioning the girl with the chair, to make it fair for the other competitors and her as well. Not sure what the rule book says.

Have you had that situation happen?

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

great job remington!!!

ever since i started classes at Top Dog i think they over proof. Last week i had apple on a sit stay and stood 12 feet out while one of the helpers were calling her name bouncing a tennis ball. Poor dogs.

Really nice signature pic by the way!!

debjen is offline Senior Member

good boy Remington..Robbie is 4 and still needs one leg for his CD..of course we only do 1 or 2 obedience shows a year..LOL

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I actually had a person next to us in a wheelchair in groups in Novice A Obedience. Realizing the numbers and where we were going to wind up I introduced Amber to the Person in the WC before groups. Amber was quite scared by the rolling person that followed/chased her into the ring just a few feet behind her, but I gave her a subtle correction and we lined up fine. The judge had us line up about 3-4 feet from the babby gates so the person would ahve enough room to go behind her dog, and we left enough room for her to squeeze between dogs when she returned.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Wonderful!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast