Kinda Happy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinda Happy

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna1002 View Post
    great job remington!!!

ever since i started classes at Top Dog i think they over proof. Last week i had apple on a sit stay and stood 12 feet out while one of the helpers were calling her name bouncing a tennis ball. Poor dogs...
    Oh heck, Deanna, I've proofed "harder" than that for years- long before they started doing it at Top Dog. You never know what you're going to encounter at a trial, or in life. Heck- a few years we were watching a trial in Flemington. It was one of those really hot, humid days. My son decided to sit quietly in the shade ringside. Someone sitting ringside asked him to move because it wouldn't be fair if the dog in the ring jumped out of the ring because my son was eating a hotdog. The thought had never crossed my mind because we trained with stuff like that as a distraction. I just assumed everyone did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Oh heck, Deanna, I've proofed "harder" than that for years- long before they started doing it at Top Dog. You never know what you're going to encounter at a trial, or in life. Heck- a few years we were watching a trial in Flemington. It was one of those really hot, humid days. My son decided to sit quietly in the shade ringside. Someone sitting ringside asked him to move because it wouldn't be fair if the dog in the ring jumped out of the ring because my son was eating a hotdog. The thought had never crossed my mind because we trained with stuff like that as a distraction. I just assumed everyone did.
    They told your son to move?? i would have had a nice polite answer to that one.

You know i never thought proofing was a big deal before i came to this school. We did proof but not to this extent, but then again ive never trialed yet. I thought this type of proofing was kinda being hard to the dogs, by calling their name to come??? but i guess its not. Last week Linda had us all play a game competing agaist eachother, she had a big bowl full of food the dogs had to sit touching the bowl with the body but not even thinking of eating it. Then she had us lay down as close as they possibly can get but i guess the more experienced handlers would think nothing of it I'll get there one day

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I do proof my stays really well. I do the same thing. Once I know the dog understands the exercise I will make EVERY effort to make the dog move... so I can correct the dog. A bit sadistic, but it really makes for a reliable stay.

Remington is doing pretty well so far. I line him up with Ruger and Magnum and have left them all there for about four minutes while I run, toss balls, step over him, etc.

I also like to have someone else sit and call my dog, wave food at them, whatever, when I'm heeling so I can get good corrections in.

Our trouble area is of course heeling off leash, his mind wanders. And also the recall, he often comes galloping at me when I haven't even called him, but we are working on fixing it.

In two years, he might be ready to give novice a try

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

That's cool. I have not had that situation. A friend of mine is handicapped and she competes with her dog in Rally and agility and would like to try for a CD. She is worried that it would be unfair to the other competitors. She is hoping the judge would allow a few extra feet, not so much for her benefit but for the other dog. She feels that it would be very scary for a dog, in a down, to see a power chair coming at them when they aren't used to it. She called the AKC but they said the don't have to make the spacing wider, but she is going to go to some trials and talk to some judges to get a feel for it. She wants to get a CD on her dog, but she also doesn't want to ruin it for another competitor.

We are going to try it with our two dogs. If Miles jumps up, we can be pretty sure just about any dog will. Hey, it will be good proofing for us too.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12