Just Labradors banner

Question -- Do you belong to

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Amber The Duck Dawg 
#1 ·
Do you belong to your local dog training club. If so, why do you belong. What affiliation is it (AKC, USDAA, etc). Just curious. Thanks.

#3 ·
I guess it depends on what you mean by "local". The nearest training clubs to me are at least an hour away. I joined one that was over 1.5 hours away because they offered year-round training and the "closer one" just offered 2 8 week sessions a year. I joined because I wanted to belong to a "dog club", our classes are very inexpensive as members - $20 for an 8 week session. I train at a club because I didn't know anything when I started, and Emilu needed to be around other dogs and that type of atmosphere. I like being around "dog people" and just like going to class (if only it were a little closer I'd really like it)

#4 ·
I belong to our local all breed AKC club..I first joined shortly after I started showing Riley to learn more about showing and to meet more people.. I have been on their Board and was Show Obedience Chair for many years..and am currently co Agility chair....I take some ocassional classes from them and help teach some but take the majority of my obedience/rally classes from a local trainer for whom I also teach an intro agility class..I also belong to our local Agility training club that is not affliated with any orgainization at this time..I am currently on their Board and teach and take agility classes for them..we have our own building for training (which since I live in a condo works well for me)..I enjoy taking classes and working/being with other people who enjoy their dogs

#6 ·
Oops! I forgot to tell you that - yes - it's AKC. I used to belong to the breed club up in Columbus, but it was just way too far for me to drive to the meetings in the middle of the week, and since I don't show in conformation or breed, there just didn't seem to be that much of a point to belonging. I show in AKC because there really aren't that many shows close enough to me that aren't AKC. I know the agility peeps in the club put on AKC and NADAC trials.

#7 ·
I belong to the local all breed club (AKC) along with the LRC and LRCP. The reason I am a member the local club is that I am an instructor there and the board of directors gave me a honorary membership (I cannot attend meeting since I work on Thursday nights). I am considering joining the local hunt club too this year.

#9 ·
Interesting.

I just resigned from our club. I'd been in it for 9 years. Two reasons why I dropped out. First, financial, I simply don't have the extra $$$ right now to rejoin, and if you don't rejoin in January you forfeit your membership (you'd think they could be a little flexible??). Second, I've worked my butt off for this club for years and they have honestly had very little consideration for me. I don't want much, but maybe a thank you once in awhile? I let them use my property to get the agility trials started. They mailed out thank-you cards to everyone, the judges, the volunteers, the ring crews. Did we get a card for letting them us our land. Nope. This kind of thing has gone of for years. I feel like the "forgotten" member even though I have worked diligently behind the scenes (newsletter, website, end of the year awards, vendor and site coordinator, etc).

Since I didn't have the money this year to join, I figured, what the heck, what am I getting out of this anyway?? So I just resigned.

Now I can go to the shows and just enjoy myself :p (although not this year, I won't be showing much at all this year :(

#10 ·
Well, Linda, that's too bad. With all the work you did for them, they will undoubtedly notice your absence. It seems they could have waived the membership fee for all the work you do.

I belong to a breed lab club. I am not sure why other than to keep in touch with the local breeders. I never go to their functions. The membership is $20 a year and they do a few things each year (raise money for masks for fire dogs or canine cancer research) that are good so I don't mind supporting them. I also belong to a dog training club but they don't have a facility or anything like that. They just hold run throughs and they have gotten involved in writing to our congressmen about canine legislation. Membership is only $10 a year and they are a really nice, relaxed group of people so I stay even though I don't make it to many meetings.

#11 ·
I only belong to the socal lab club (LRCSC) but the only obedience thing I have done is work a trial or compete in the socal tournament for them. I really love working at their hunt tests though.
I also belong to another lab club that is further away but do not get a chance to attend their raally/obedience classes.
And I am a member of the local AKC hunting retriever club and have attended some of their training days for hunt test/field trials There is quite a bit of obedience involved with that.
I am that person that helps out at any event I can. I have worked at hunt tests, obedience,rally,agility, tracking and confirmation. Its just what I do and I like "dog" people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.